Career

Goldman Sachs x HerCampus: The Endless Possibilities for HBCU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

In the midst of a devastating pandemic and a virtual semester with limited opportunities for internships and engaging programs, Goldman Sachs offers a select number of HBCUs a much-needed silver lining. 

Through the Goldman Sachs x HerCampus Chapter Campaign, Howard University’s HerCampus Chapter had the opportunity to have a live Q & A session with Temilayo Butler, a Howard alum and current employee of Goldman Sachs–an investment banking company that offers financial services in investing, lending, transaction banking, and more. 

As Butler shared her experiences within the finance industry, members were able to learn about the life of a Goldman Sachs employee, how 2020 has affected the finance industry, and get a glimpse of life as a Black woman in an industry dominated by men. Although difficult, Butler proved that it wasn’t possible for a woman of color to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing world, generating a needed sense of hope and optimism for Howard students aspiring to work in this industry.

Luckily, Goldman Sachs is offering an opportunity not available to many. During the Goldman Sachs x HerCampus Chapter meeting, members also learned about a new program for HBCU students–specifically Howard, Florida A&M, Hampton, Morehouse, Morgan State, North Carolina A&T, Prairie View A&M, and Spelman. 

The Goldman Sachs Market Madness: HBCU Possibilities Program aims to prepare first and second year HBCU students for the real world through a semester-long, virtual crash course on financial concepts with opportunities to participate in case studies and win funding for your HBCU, educational scholarships, and an opportunity to interview for a 2022 internship. The program even includes a stipend for each member–which is always a plus for college students. In a time of such uncertainty, Goldman Sachs’ program is certain to provide HBCU students with career readiness in the form of mentorship, leadership, and skill development. 

What do you have to lose? Apply with the link below!

https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/students/programs/americas/market-madness-hbcu-possibilities.html?cid=csy-pd-hercampus-hcm20-article-202010-us-2—marketmadness

Makenna is a writer and a junior journalism major at Howard University. Hailing from small town Arkansas, Underwood has dreams beyond her home. She enjoys writing about fashion, culture, and politics and hopes to pursue it beyond college. Outside of Her Campus, Makenna runs a college blog called Makenna's Meditation and is an editor for The Hilltop--Howard's student newspaper. She hopes to have an impact at Her Campus and can't wait to build the next generation of independent young women.