Wellness

Go Natural This Cold and Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s quite obvious that due to global warming, the weather is constantly fluctuating. Whether it’s 35 degrees and dreary or  65 degrees and sunny (all within January), the germs don’t care. In fact, this changing weather is just a recipe for students to come down with anything and everything. Luckily, I have a few holistic solutions that should do the trick if you just so happen to fall victim to the flu. 

1. Supertonic (from Hidden Pond Farms) 

This fiery liquid will definitely put some hair on your chest and make your eyes water, but it will do the job when it comes to knocking out flu-like symptoms. Because it is formulated with spicy ingredients (horseradish root, garlic, onion, ginger, habanero pepper, apple cider vinegar, and tumeric root), supertonic not only opens up your sinuses, but it clears up any phlegm in your throat and serves as an anti-inflammatory. Bottoms up! 

2. Elderberry

When I first heard of elderberry, I was under the assumption that this was going to taste good…I was wrong. But what medicine tastes good nowadays? Anyways, elderberry is rich in vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants, all of which are beneficial when you’re battling the flu. In addition to this, elderberry aids in boosting the immune system, fighting bacteria, aiding in heart health, and improves the mood. Who wouldn’t want to try this all in one remedy? 

3. Ginger

Ginger is easier to get your hands on and has a wide array of benefits. From fighting inflammation to treating nausea to helping with menstrual cramps, this is a must have in this cold and flu season. Ginger can help soothe sore throats, subside a cough, and help with aches and pains that come along with the common cold. Simply add it in a cup of tea and you’re good to go. 

4. Oscillococcinum 

Personally I didn’t know these tablets existed, but it’s safe for me to say that I have been missing out. Even though I can’t pronounce this, oscillococcinum is one of the most effective holistic remedies I have come across. The dissolvable tablets allow for easy absorption, causing aches and pains, fevers, headaches, and fatigued to be knocked out beginning as early as a couple hours. This is definitely worth a try, and could become a nice addition in your cold and flu treatment plan. 

5. Vitamin C 

This is probably one of the most important things to have in your medicine 

cabinet around this time of year. Of course vitamin C can be found in foods such as oranges and broccoli, but tables and powder options are also available. Adding extra doses of vitamin C in your diet will boost your immune system, overall improving your body’s ability to fight off invaders and keeping your body in a healthier state. Of course there are several more holistic options available, these are just my top four that I found work well for me and I wanted to share them with you. Not everyone wants to take pharmaceutical made medications or spend a lot of money on them , so hopefully this offers a few solutions to that problem. 

Thank you for reading this, and stay healthy during this season of germs.

Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.