This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The future of music has arrived with an unapologetic bang. Music prodigies Megan Thee Stallion, Lizzo, Lil Nas X, and Normani have dominated the charts and captured the attention of the world. Their rise to success is remarkable because these artists have refused to conform to society’s labels. Their success spans over multiple genres, and they show no signs of slowing down.

Source: Earmilk

Megan Thee Stallion’s sudden rise to fame has been in the making since she began writing her raps at age 14. Videos showcasing her rapping abilities like in her “Houston Cypher” or her “Stalli Freestyle” went viral, but it was not until “Big Ole Freak” from her mixtape Tina Snow that she saw commercial success. Her lyrics are explicit, fierce, and empowering – a message that has resonated with listeners. More than just her undeniable raw talent, her personality is authentic. She is a college student at Texas Southern University, earning a degree in health administration that she hopes to use to open living facilities in Houston. Her duality is stunning. She serves as a prime example of an educated, independent woman who is not afraid of a male-dominated industry.

Source: USA Today

Lizzo crept up on the music industry. She released her breakout anthem, “Truth Hurts,” in 2017, but the song made its way into the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart this year. Her studio album Cuz I Love You contains hit after hit with songs like “Juice” and “Tempo.” She is an online sensation; videos of her playing the flute, twerking, or playing the flute while twerking constantly go viral. Her performances showcase her live talent for singing, rapping, dancing, and playing instruments. Lizzo takes confidence to the next level. She gives a platform to plus-sized, black women as glamorous and multi-talented individuals.

Source: Gossiponthis.

Lil Nas X soared to fame with his viral hit “Old Town Road.” Despite the song’s country influences, Billboard removed his song from the Hot Country songs chart in a move that many believed was racially motivated. However, Lil Nas X bounced back with a vengeance, and scored a remix with Billy Ray Cyrus that went on to spend 17 weeks as number one on Billboard’s Hot 100 songs chart, the longest amount of time any song has ever spent. Since then, Lil Nas X has released a successful EP that crosses many genres, proving that he is not a one hit wonder. His success as a black gay man on the charts is unprecedented and extremely important because not only is he forging a new path,  he is paving the way for many artists to come.

Source: IOL

Normani made sure she would not fade into darkness after Fifth Harmony disbanded last year. She is serving pop and R&B realness with her singles “Love Lies” and “Motivation.” During her time in Fifth Harmony, she was a victim of racial bullying, which took a toll on her. Her solo debut and the way she has taken control over her narrative has been nothing short of inspiring. In the beginning of her music video for “Motivation,” a dark skin girl runs to the television to watch Normani. This visual is a representation of black girls having a new role model to look up to that looks like them. Normani is redefining the standard of beauty one catchy song at a time.

All of these artists have exceeded expectations and shattered records. Their success is a success for every person who has been pushed down or ostracized by society. By living boldly in their truth, they have shaken up not only the music industry, but societal norms. They are the fresh faces that the music industry needed, and their work has only just begun.

Kyndall Dunn is a senior honors media management major, business administration minor at Howard University from Atlanta, GA. She is a content contributor and topic editor for Her Campus. Instagram: @kyndunn LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyndunn/
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.