This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Earlier this summer, Serena Williams, four-time Olympic gold medalist,  holder of 23 Grand Slam singles, and 14 Grand Slam doubles titles, graced the courts of the French Open in a sleek, fitted catsuit. The outfit, affectionately dubbed the “Black Panther” suit, has become a topic of discussion after Bernard Giudicelli, president of the French Tennis Federation, banned such outfits from being worn at future matches. This dress code is being implemented for the sake of players “respecting the game.”

While Williams has stated that her “superhero” catsuit makes her feel like “a queen from Wakanda,” it was specially designed with her health in mind. The compression material ensures she can perform without battling the blood clots that began to threaten her life after giving birth last November.

The catsuit ban has provoked outrage, much of which stems from the question of “Why?” Fans and several players, including Williams’ colleague, Alize Corne, view such rules as outdated and unnecessary. The new dress code is one of the many displays of misogyny in sports: policing women’s bodies and how they choose to dress. Black women especially bear the brunt of unfair consequences when it comes to dress codes. From little black girls at school to working women in corporate offices, black women are often scrutinized for their hair and the way clothing fits their bodies. Social media users shared anger toward the situation, speaking out against the extensive history of racist and misogynistic remarks the Williams sisters have experienced since childhood.

Williams has handled the situation with the grace and composure of royalty. Besides, who wants to be an outfit repeater anyway? Nike put it perfectly when they tweeted in support of Williams: “You can take the superhero out of her costume, but you can never take away her superpowers.” In any outfit, Serena Williams reigns supreme.

Lauren Holley is a junior English major with a Creative Writing concentration from Chicago, Illinois. She loves reading good books, reaching goals, and befriending the campus squirrels. She is a content writer at Her Campus Howard.