Style > Beauty

Five Protective Styles To Get Through the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Summer is vastly approaching which means so are sweltering temperatures and excessive humidity. Although we love the buss down middle part and our leave-out sew-ins, for our sanity, protective styles are the best options for the summer. Long hair can make us hot, making protective hairstyles essential during the summertime. A protective hairstyle is any style that keeps your ends tucked to protect your hair and reduce damage. Your natural hair is shielded by protective styles from manipulation, heat, and environmental variables that can cause pulling and breakage. To aid in your search for your next protective style we have listed the trendiest styles from 2023. These styles will keep you cute and protected all summer long.

Bohemian Knotless Braids: Knotless braids are box braids installed with a tension-free method that makes a more natural look. Bohemian knotless braids consist of curls within and at the ends of the braids to give them a more boho look.

Fulani Braids: Fulani braids are cornrows that are woven in close proximity to the scalp in attractive designs that can be embellished with beads. The Fulani, one of the largest ethnic groupings in Africa, is the inspiration for this fashion. Not only is it cute and trendy, but the style also holds historical value.

Faux locs are a very great alternative to the commitment of locing your hair. Unlike most protective styles, locs look better and more natural as they get older. This style is low maintenance and versatile.

Island Twists: If you are looking for an alternative to braids, twists are the way to go. Instead of braiding three strands, the stylist will only braid two. The island twists offer a summer look with the addition of curly hair throughout and at the ends of the twist.

Stitch braids are a type of protective style similar to cornrows but utilize the feed-in and finger technique. These are used to create clean lines and stitching. Stitch braids can be styled into ponytails or buns to change the look.

All of these protective hairstyles will leave you ready for all the summer festivities. You will not have to worry about heat damage, breakage, or your lace lifting, just good vibes, and the sun!

Hello, my name is Aysia Shelley! I am a junior criminology major, legal communications minor from New Baltimore, MI.