Wellness

Five Inexpensive Ways to Pamper Yourself in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As college students, it can become quite overwhelming balancing our academics and social life. When the stress of the world becomes too much to handle, it is important to take time for yourself and enjoy a relaxing experience. For the sake of your mental and physical health, it is crucial to rejuvenate your body and mind. However, money can be tight in college and students do not always have the means to afford going to a spa or nail salon. There are still plenty of ways that you can practice self-care in the comfort of your own dorm. Here is a list of five inexpensive ways to pamper yourself in college:

1. Drink Tea: Drinking a warm cup of tea in the morning or at night is a great way to ease your mind and soothe your body. Drinking tea has many amazing health benefits such as improving sleep and digestive issues. Most importantly, tea can be used as a natural remedy to help alleviate stress and anxiety. Some teas you should try the next time you wind down are peppermint tea, green tea, and lavender tea. 
  1. Make a Homemade Exfoliating Scrub: Who doesn’t love a good skincare treatment? You can DIY an exfoliating scrub for your skin by using ingredients that are already in your kitchen! There are plenty of easy recipes that you can follow online; however, I personally love to make a sugar and honey exfoliating scrub. All you need are two simple ingredients: sugar and honey. This exfoliating scrub is sure to leave your skin feeling smooth and moisturized. 
  1. Aromatherapy: Being surrounded by pleasant and relaxing smells will definitely elevate your mood. Diffuse essential oils in your room to create a calm and peaceful environment. Lavender and lemongrass are great oils for stress relief. Remember to take deep breaths and enjoy the moment. 
  1. Stretch: Stretching is a great way to relieve built up tension from your body. Getting your body moving will release endorphins and help you feel better about yourself. Stretching or practicing yoga will not only improve your flexibility, but it is also an effective way to relieve stress and anxiety. 
  1. Journal: It is always good to clear your mind and get your inner thoughts down on paper. Writing in a journal can be a therapeutic activity. Take some time to reflect on your day and appreciate your accomplishments thus far. Write down positive affirmations to uplift and encourage yourself.
Hi, my name is Briana and I am from Philadelphia P.A. I am a senior Biology major with minors in Chemistry and Spanish studying at Howard University. My interests include writing, dancing, and natural hair and skin care.