matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

First Black Woman Episcopal Bishop in the South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Rev. Phoebe Roaf was consecrated on Saturday May 4th, 2019 at Hope Church in Memphis, Tennessee. She was ordained by Chief consecrator Rev. Michael Curry, the first African American presiding Bishop of the Episcopal church. She is the fifth black female bishop in the history of the Episcopal Church, but the first in the South at age 55.

Born in Arkansas, Rev. Roaf has experience in the Episcopalian Church being a fourth generation Episcopalian. Being that she grew up with a predominantly male clergy, she mentioned she never imagined being in the position she is in now. The Episcopal Church is the American branch of the global Anglican community at about 1.7 million members.

Source 

As a graduate of the University of Arkansas, Harvard, and Princeton with research and a law degree, she began her work in the ministry in the start of her 40’s. She became the first Black woman ordained as an Episcopal Priest in Louisiana after studying and graduating from Virginia Theological Seminary in 2008. She has served in New Orleans and Virginia. Consequently, she said at her consecration, “As the first Black woman to serve as an Episcoal Bishop south of the Mason- Dixon Line, there are great expectations surrounding my tenure.”

Kayla Cash

Howard '22

Kayla Cash is a senior at Howard University currently majoring in civil engineering. She is from Jacksonville, Florida. She strives to be valuable in any career field ranging from filmmaking and engineering. Kayla Cash is the epitome of a renaissance woman.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.