This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Fans of the renowned singer Aretha Franklin have traveled to her hometown of Detroit, Michigan to celebrate her life and career for a three- day event fit only for a Queen.

Franklin passed away on August 16 at the age of 76 after secretly battling pancreatic cancer, which brought grief among loved ones, fans, political leaders and fellow musicians who all credited her for her major contributions to music.

Her celebration of life began Tuesday, August 28 with the start of two 12-hour public viewings held at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. Franklin’s homegoing services will conclude with an invitation-only funeral to be held at Greater Grace Temple, where Franklin previously sang at the funeral of Civil Rights icon Rosa Parks.

Franklin’s funeral is set to have a star- studded list of performers, including Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson and Yolanda Adams. Remarks are also expected to come from former President Barack Obama, Cicely Tyson and Rev. Jesse Jackson.

If you want to watch the service, Associated Press will be livestreaming the whole thing. CNN and Fox News will also be streaming parts of the program.

Kési Felton is a junior at Howard University in Washington, DC majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. Having attended writing and photojournalism summer camps and growing up around Atlanta's CNN Center she discovered her love for journalism. Upon starting her journey at Howard, she rediscovered writing as a way to share her life experiences and connect with a larger audience. Through writing about pertinent social, political, and cultural issues she hopes to establish her unique identity as a Black female journalist and create more opportunities for Black people to share their stories.