This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The leaves are changing, and colors of red, orange, and gold surround us. It is the best time of the year: fall! Fall has the best holidays, including Halloween and Thanksgiving, and the list goes on and on. Being located at Howard University on the East Coast, we get to experience some of the best that fall has to offer. There are countless opportunities to enjoy the fall weather in the DC-Maryland-Virginia (DMV) area. From the markets in DC, to the pumpkin patches in Maryland, the DMV has so much to offer for you to enjoy this crisp fall weather. 

1. FRESHFARM DuPont Circle Market

If you love farm fresh foods, the perfect fall activity for you is to visit a farmer’s market. In DC, there are a number of farmer’s markets in the area, but one of the most well known is FRESHFARM in DuPont Circle. With everything from produce and fresh flowers to handmade baked goods, FRESHFARM is the one-stop shop for all of your fall farmer’s market needs.

1. Montpelier Farms

One of the highlights of the fall season is Halloween, and Halloween would not be complete without one plant in particular: pumpkin. If you don’t mind riding out to the Maryland countryside, Montpelier Farms has all the pumpkins you could ask for and more. With pumpkins galore, a corn maze, crafts, apple cider and hay rides, Montpelier Farms offers so much more than meets the eye and is the end all be all for fun. Make sure to take a study break and enjoy the fall weather in the pumpkin patch. Live your best fall life!

1. United States National Arboretum 

Another great opportunity to enjoy the fall foliage is at the United States National Arboretum. At the National Arboretum, you can enjoy the bright, vibrant colors of autumn leaves while learning about flora and fauna. Located conveniently in northeast DC, the National Arboretum is a staple for those touring the Nation’s Capital. The city has so much to offer, and the National Arboretum is one of the best places to take in all that the fall season has to offer.

1. DC Ghost Tour 

Last, but certainly not least, is the DC Ghost Tour. For those that love Halloween and all of the terrors and frights that come with it, the DC Ghost Tour is the place to go. Starting at the intersection of 15th and F Street NW, the DC Ghost Tour will take you through all the thrills and frights that Capital Hill has, including the Blair House and the Hay Adams Hotel. The tour blends history with scares, and it is the perfect way to spend your Halloween and fall season.  

The Nation’s Capital has so many opportunities for those who love the season of pumpkins, apple cider and falling leaves. Fall is a beautiful season in and of itself, but when you add on all the charm that the DMV has to offer, fall takes on a character of its own. There are plenty of ways to enjoy these next few months anywhere you go, but it’s only in the DMV that you will find fall charm like this.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.