Erin Jackson Becomes the First Black Woman to Win a Gold Medal in Speed Skating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

American speed skater Erin Jackson has become the first Black woman in history to win a gold medal in speed skating at the Winter Olympics. 

Jackson became the first black woman to qualify for the U.S. Olympic long-track speedskating team in 2018, and accomplished another great feat here in 2022 during Black History Month, by winning a gold medal at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

Interestingly enough, Jackson initially didn’t qualify to race in the 500m race, but her teammate Brittany Bowe, gave up her spot so that Jackson could compete. 

Not only did this 29 year-old take home the first medal in speed skating for team USA at the Beijing Olympics, but she now joins Bonnie Blair, as the only American women in history to win the 500m race. 

Social media flooded with an outpouring of congratulatory messages and excitement from fans to cheer on this special moment for Jackson.

As a black woman in speedskating, Jackson also shared in a post-race interview her hopes for more minorities and people of color to partake in the sport.

This moment is not only surreal and important for women, but as a Black woman during Black History Month, this exemplifies even more the greatness that we as people obtain. 

It is because of people like Jackson that more young girls will be able to see themselves in this sport , and know that they can compete to win. 

This moment will forever live on as one of the greatest moments in history for black women in sports, and it will set the precedent for what else we may accomplish in the years to come. 

Furthermore, the U.S. currently holds fifteen total medals in the 2022 Beijing Olympic, seven which include gold. 

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.