The End to ANOTHER Hot Girl Summer Music Review: Queen of Da Souf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

While we’ve been in quarantine, some of our favorite artists have been having one of the best summers music-wise. We’ve seen Megan Thee Stallion, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, and Flo Milli all come out with songs that have charted. Another female rapper extraordinaire that should be on everyone’s radar and playlist by now is Miss Mulatto. As one of my favorite artists, I have been excited about her new album drop since the release of “Big Latto” in 2019. Even if people are unfamiliar with her name, they know “B*tch From Da Souf”, which charted on Billboards Top 100. You might also know her from The Rap Game, which she won at 16 years old. 

Just like many female rappers nowadays, Mulatto has been embracing the trend of rapping about female sensuality and sexuality. She isn’t afraid to tell it like it is, which stems from growing up in Atlanta, GA. Mulatto likes to point out in interviews with Genius and Vlad TV, that she isn’t afraid to roll with the big dogs and is just as good and better than some male rappers. 

Released on August 21, 2020, Queen of Da Souf has to be one of my favorite albums that Mulatto has put out. In the album, she collabs with some pretty big names in rap, such as City Girls, 21 Savage, 42 Dugg, Trina, Saweetie, and Gucci Mane. This album reflects how much she’s grown as an artist. While I would love to go through every song and give my opinion, I’m only sharing my top three songs off the album.

3. “B*tch From Da Souf (Remix)”

Now starting the list off is a twist of a classic Mulatto song “B*tch From Da Souf”, the original track has to be one of my favorite songs from her. The remix features Saweetie and Trina, Saweetie gives her west coast flavor, and Trina shows that she can still give everyone a run for their money. What makes the song awesome is the presence of three strong female rappers coming together to remix an already amazing song.

2. “No Hook” “No Hook” is one of the most emotional and inspiring songs off of the album. Not only does Mulatto give her fans a look into her struggles, but it also speaks volumes on the hardships she has had to overcome from rapping at a young age. She even raps about her past relationships. This song shows her versatility in her rapping style; she can give songs about her success to show her fans a darker side to her career. 

1. “Muwop” (Feat. Gucci Mane)       For Mulatto to get a feature with Gucci Mane is not only impressive but shows the world that she isn’t someone to overlook. The song is Mulatto’s take on Gucci Man’s  “Freaky Girl”, which makes having him feature ten times better. I have to say that I might prefer this version to the original; the beat is remarkable, and it is one of those songs that gets you hype. The song starts great, but it’s just something you have to get up and dance to when the chorus comes on. I personally love playing the song riding in the car with the windows down and full volume. 

While I only hit on three songs, the whole album is definitely worth listening and then re-listening to; and, if this is your first time tuning into Mulatto, I would recommend looking up “Big Latto” and “Mulatto” two equally fantastic albums. Mulatto represents a booming industry that is female-dominated and is here to stay. You can stream Queen of Da Souf on Apple Music, Spotify, and Youtube Music, to name a few, so there is no excuse not to listening. 

Sources: https://open.spotify.com/album/1HOYLdaWocKi1YGveli9kF?si=evKHQY6MQi2UJyI… https://www.billboard.com/charts

Hello, my name is Damali Danavall, I am a Junior, Biology and Criminology double major, and Chemistry minor from Atlanta, GA. I currently attend Howard University.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD