Wellness > Health

Elena Delle Donne Voted 2019 WNBA MVP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Securing her first WNBA Championship title with the Washington Mystics earlier this month, star power forward Elena Della Donne was recently named the 2019 WNBA MVP. A title she also won as a member of the Chicago Sky back in 2015, Delle Donne overcame several injuries to lead the Mystics team to victory. Not only was this one of the best seasons she has played thus far as a professional basketball player, she also became the first WNBA player to enter the 50, 40, 90 club. This means that she made 50% field goals, 40% three-pointers and 90% free throws during the regular season. While this stats “club” is primarily filled with men, Delle Donne became the first WNBA player to achieve this great feat.

She is also one of the most popular WNBA players as she has represented Team USA in the World Cup and the Olympics. Yet, her outstanding achievement does not stop there. Delle Donne has been selected for six All-star teams. While the entirety of the team focuses on the amazing championship they brought back to Washington D.C. for the first time, Delle Donne was recently seen throwing the first pitch at the Washington Nationals’ baseball game and the Washington Capitals hockey game. It will be exciting to see what magic these women can stir up next season to keep this streak of wins going, and possibly bringing home another championship with Delle Donne as their leader. 

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.