Dedication to Education

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Mervin J. Augustin, a junior from Ft. Lauderdale, holds an associate’s degree in Elementary Education. He transferred from Broward College to Howard University’s School of Education Five-year Elementary Education M.Ed. program this year and he currently maintains a 4.0 GPA. He was crowned Mr. School of Education on October 3, 2011 and decided to sit down with Hercampus-Howard to give his fellow bison a preview of his life.

What programs/initiatives are you working on?

I am currently working on a program/movement called the Student Community Connection (SCC).SCCis a community and university-based multi-disciplinary approach to educating and bringing awareness to students and members of the community on how to create positive change. The mission is to create a strong working relationship between the community of Washington, DC and Howard University through education, increasing awareness and advocating for social and economic change in disenfranchised neighborhoods. We will begin this effort by holding Howard University student–led workshops in conjunction with residents of the surrounding community, providing educational opportunities that promote the need for sound financial responsibility, bringing awareness to negative marketing tactics and stereotypes that target youth, understanding and creating an advocacy platform to decrease the overrepresentation of youth in the Juvenile and Criminal Justice System. 

What other organizations are you a part of?

I’m currently a member of the School of Education Student Council, and NAACP Legal Co-Chair.

How did you become interested in education?

My family and friends have always referred to me as a motivational speaker. I realized through experience that some people are one encouraging word away from achieving goals and living their dreams. I decided that the educational system is the best place to motivate others.

What other interests do you have? What do you do in your free time?

I have a wide range of interest from history, philosophy, earth science, and law. In my rare free time, I like to read. I just finished a great book called The Alchemist (by Paulo Coelho). I also engage in deep intellectual converse with my eight-year-old niece, Sasha. You can usually find me running, writing poetry, drawing, eating Doritos and Gummy Bears.

What are your future aspirations?

I aspire to graduate from Howard University with honors, become a school superintendent and earn my Ph.D. in Education and Law.

Who inspires you?

My mother, the memory of my father, Howard University’s history and legacy, my four beautiful and wise sisters, the stories of people like Thurgood Marshall,Harriet Tubman, and Toussaint L’Ouverture and every professor I’ve had since becoming a Bison.

What legacy would you like to leave behind?

The word legacy is intimidating and humbling.  To me it means significant positive impact to generations.  If I had the choice of leaving a legacy behind I would like it to be one that inspires young men and women to be themselves, and that means making mistakes, learning from them and continuing to aggressively chase their dreams.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!