This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

For those who may not know, Congresswoman Lauren Underwood serves as the 14th Congressional District for Illinois. She was sworn in earlier this year, and is the “first woman, first person of color and first millennial to represent her community in Congress.” On top of that, she is the youngest African American woman in the House of Representatives. Congresswoman Underwood is a proud member of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) and the LGBT Equality Caucus. Considering her passion for the prevention of gun violence, she also serves as a member of the Congressional Gun Violence Prevention Task Force.

Lauren Underwood was born October 4th, 1986 in Mayfield Heights, Ohio. Before being elected, Underwood graduated from the University of Michigan and Johns Hopkins University. She also taught soon to be nurse practitioners on Georgetown University’s online master’s program. 

Source: https://www.underwoodforcongress.com/facts

In Chicago, Underwood worked with a Medicaid plan and served as Senior Advisor at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). She did this to push forward the prevention and preparation for disasters and other health emergencies. While at HHS, she also helped instrument the Affordable Care Act to improve access for people on Medicare with quality health care and build private insurance.

Although there are times that  it may seem as though we are going backwards in this country, I can assure you that there are people like Congresswoman Underwood who are working to move the U.S. forward.

Kayla Cash

Howard '22

Kayla Cash is a senior at Howard University currently majoring in civil engineering. She is from Jacksonville, Florida. She strives to be valuable in any career field ranging from filmmaking and engineering. Kayla Cash is the epitome of a renaissance woman.