Black Panther’s Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira Reunite for New Miniseries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira Reunite for New Miniseries by Jamara

Photo: Marvel Studios’ Black Panther (2018)

Back in 2014, Lupita Nyong’o revealed that she acquired the rights to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s best-selling novel, Americanah. The novel tells the story of two young Nigerian immigrants, Ifemelu and Obinze, and their experiences of struggle along with their stories on their love lives.

Just this January, Nyong’o came with an update on the project in interviews with Extra and The Hollywood Reporter. It was originally reported that the project would be a movie under Brad Pitt’s Plan B Productions, a company responsible for 12 Years of Slave and Moonlight, but Nyong’o told The Hollywood Reporter that novel will be turned into a miniseries instead. All that aside, Nyong’o will still star and produce the project.

In the same month, Nyong’o told Extra the exciting news that her Black Panther co-star, Danai Gurira, will be the writer of the miniseries. This collaboration will make it the actresses’ third time working together. The first being Eclipsed, the play that lead Nyong’o to receive her first Tony nomination and the second being the two’s work on the record-breaking Marvel film, Black Panther.

Lupita Nyong’o will star as Ifemelu and the two will be executive producing the miniseries. Fans will have to stay tuned as more information as the project unveils.

Jamara Robinson is a communications student at Howard University. Her passions range from topics within music and hip-hop culture. She’s landed several opportunities through combining her passions with her strengths in writing, marketing, and social media. Regardless of the medium, Jamara strives to keep the culture strong in everything she does.  Follow Jamara on social media! • YouTube • Instagram • Twitter