Black Girl Magic: Meet Howard’s New Favorite DJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Howard’s student-run radio station, WHBC, hosted its annual Howard’s Hottest on November 9. The competition featured nine students– producers, rappers, and DJs– who showcased their talents to their peers. Sitting in the audience were also three judges– Sean Glover, John Vargas, and Glen Jones– who provided constructive criticism to each performer during the show. Check out the full recap here

Among the performers was Dionne Ledbetter, a sophomore Music Composition major from Atlanta, Georgia; otherwise known as DJ Magic. She first caught our attention over the summer when she dropped a mix titled “Femme Fatale 2,” which garnered over 200 retweets. And although she didn’t leave the competition with the title of Howard’s Hottest DJ, she did leave a lasting impression on audience members, many of whom left Cramton impressed with her set and eager to hear more of what she has to offer.

Her Campus Howard got the chance to ask DJ Magic about her experience at Howard’s Hottest as well as her experience being the only woman in the competition this year, check out the interview below: 

When did you first start DJing and what inspired you to get started?

I started DJing towards the end of high school. At the time, I was really into making my own beats and after watching producers like Kaytranada or Jayda G perform DJ sets full of their own music, I thought I could do it too. DJing was always something I was interested in but combining it with production was really where I wanted to go with it at first. But once I started to think about coming to Howard, that perspective switched and I focused mixing more ‘party-music’ rather than my own.

What would you say was your main goal going into Howard’s Hottest?

I just wanted to have fun. There is absolutely nothing on campus that has the same energy that Howard’s Hottest does so I really wanted to represent, be myself, and to have a ball with the crowd.

What was the process like to prepare for Howard’s Hottest?

The process of making my set was nerve-wracking. I had to keep everyone hype, but I didn’t want to lose my style in that process. I wanted to be diverse, but I didn’t want to sacrifice crowd control for technique. But then again, I couldn’t think about it too much or I’d end up not feeling secure with what I had to offer.

I have to say the hardest part about preparing was staying true to myself. I had to stick to what I knew best. So with that being said, it was very difficult for me to selectively listen to people’s critiques. It wasn’t all about what they thought because at the end of it all, if it felt right with me, then it was right.  

How did it feel being the only woman DJ as well as the only woman in the competition?

It made me nervous at first! I knew that there would be more eyes on me, and because of that, I was a lot more hypercritical of myself. But it was also exciting because I knew that there hadn’t been a female DJ in the competition in years; I knew that there was going to be a different edge to Howard’s Hottest and I also knew that I had to give my all.

Overall though, being the only woman had its pros and its cons mostly because I didn’t know how people were going to react. On one hand, the women on campus could really rock with me because I was representing them but on the other hand, guys could have the tendency to underestimate or discredit me because I’m a woman. Thankfully though, I felt more support than hostility so I’m grateful for that.

What energy do you feel you brought to the show?

I feel like I brought an energy that nobody had ever really felt before. Not because I was the only woman but because my style as a DJ is different from what people expect or what people are used to. I really tried to tap into that pocket of music that we know but haven’t heard in a while and that brought out a different kind of energy in me as well as in the audience.

Other than being the only female, what do you feel set you apart from your competition?

As a DJ, I think what sets me apart is my desire to take risks. Every time I DJ, my goal is to hear, “I haven’t heard this song in forever!” at least once. Or I want someone in my audience to make that ‘this is fire’ stank face whenever I put in a certain mashup or transition. If I’ve done those two things, then I’m satisfied.

How did you feel about your performance?

Energetic. I’ve never smiled so hard while DJing. I also never speak when I’m DJing so hearing me willingly speak on the mic was surprising when I watched my performance. I’m a perfectionist and I’m huge on smooth transitions so to hear me jack up a few times was annoying, but I feel like that was just an indicator of me having fun.  

What advice would you give to other women looking to be a DJ or a producer?

Don’t let these men punk you, especially old heads. Post your work to the public. Know that you don’t have to follow the rules. Do your research.  Take your time when developing your craft. You don’t have to work for exposure all of the time…it’s okay to say no. Be reasonable and realistic with your work and when communicating with other people. Don’t let other’s opinions affect you negatively. Do you always!

I encourage any woman who wants to work in a field that is dominated by men to see a fantastic vision for yourself and work towards it wholeheartedly. You can and will beat the odds, but it starts with what you see for yourself.

What can we expect from you in the future?

Next semester I will be teaming up with organizations on Howard’s campus for events and parties. But until then, I’ll be releasing a new Christmas-themed mix next month so I’d definitely stay tuned for that!

We can’t wait to see what DJ Magic has in store! Check out a clip from her Howard’s Hottest performance here and let us know what song was your favorite!

Stay connected with DJ Magic!

Twitter

Instagram

Soundcloud

Kési Felton is a junior at Howard University in Washington, DC majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. Having attended writing and photojournalism summer camps and growing up around Atlanta's CNN Center she discovered her love for journalism. Upon starting her journey at Howard, she rediscovered writing as a way to share her life experiences and connect with a larger audience. Through writing about pertinent social, political, and cultural issues she hopes to establish her unique identity as a Black female journalist and create more opportunities for Black people to share their stories.