Style

Black Excellence at This Year’s NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

With the summer drawing to a close, and fall on its way, there’s only one thing to look forward to: New York Fashion Week. Each year,  spectators come to NYC to see flowing ball gowns and head to toe couture looks from the world’s most popular designers. Fashion week is the time to make a statement and create innovate outfits on the catwalk. One main theme evident in this year’s fashion would definitely be black excellence. All across the world talented black designers, make-up artists, and models have come together to fashion iconic looks that will be spoken about for generations. Get ready, sit back, and enjoy pivotal moments of black excellence.

1. Zendaya and Tommy Hilfiger’s Fashion Collaboration

Our girl Zendaya has been killing the game for years, and now with her Tommy Hilfiger collaboration, she just keeps getting better. At this year’s show, the theme of retro 1970’s style exuded black excellence from models rocking their natural hair to talented musicians coming in setting the tone. Not only does Zendaya and Tommy’s collection pay tribute to vintage style, it is inclusive and made for all, as seen in models of all ages, sizes, and races walking the stage. Also, another woman in charge who slayed the runway would be Ashley Graham, who made it known to the world that pregnancy doesn’t limit a woman’s abilities. 

1. Saweetie’s Pretty Little Thing Show

Saweetie’s new collection with Pretty Little Thing is the epitome of ICY GIRL style. In attendance at her recent fashion show were equally ICY GIRLS like Kehlani, Lil Kim, and Ashanti who had the crowd on their feet performing their classic hits.  This collection is undoubtedly one of the most popular collections for Pretty Little Thing. Saweetie always makes sure to stay iced out, so expect lots of sparkle and shine from the Cali girl herself, Saweetie.

1. Harlem’s Fashion Row

Starting as a campaign to celebrate the contributions made by black designers and creatives in the fashion world, Harlem’s Fashion Row (HFR), has grown to become a fashion empire in a class of its own. This year’s Icon 360 Award  went to Ciara, who wore a fashion-forward green and black jumpsuit paired with beautiful cornrows. HFR not only looks to celebrate black 

designers, but to also uplift them. Through collaborations with companies like BET Her and Shea Moisture, HFR uplifts the black creative community and showcases their works.

1. Essence’s Best in Black Fashion Awards

Essence is the embodiment of black girl magic and has graced us with poise and excellence for generations. At this year’s Best in Black Fashion Awards, Essence awarded icons and trailblazers in the fashion community such as Billy Porter, designer Fe Noel and Zendaya for the Influencer Award. Following the awards, Essence announced their Essence Fashion House, which will support the black fashion movement through conversation and interaction with the public. 

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.