The Best of Yardfest 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Howard University celebrated 150 years for this year’s homecoming. After a long period of waiting, the Hilltop announced the lineup for Yardfest: Rick Ross, Kid Capri, Doug E. Fresh, Tory Lanez, and Machel Montano. The day of the Yardfest, it was full of students and alumni to kick off the weekend. However, there were a few moments that were the best:

All photographs courtesy of Sontai Watson (@producedbysw)

Rick Ross

The Maybach Music rapper was the last to perform on the Yardfest stage. He did hits including “Blowin Money Fast”, “Ima Boss”, and “Pop It”.  He brought out Wale as a surprise guest. Wale performed hits such “Clappers” and “Pretty Young Thing”.

Tory Lanez

Tory Lanez blessed the stage with hits such as “Say It”, “LUV” and “Litty”. While doing a premiere of his new song “Shooters”, he blessed some of the audience with selfies and hugs.

Doug E. Fresh

The legend of hip-hop, Doug E. Fresh, performed his hits such “La Di Da Di” and “The Show”. He took us back with “Teach Me How to Dougie”. He ended his set by getting the whole audience to do the iconic Swag Surf.

Special appearances

Former alumni made their return to Howard for this year’s homecoming including AJ Calloway, Lance Gross, and Laz Alonso. Rotimi, best known as Andre Coleman from Power, made an appearance and talked to the audience.

SERVIN’ LOOKS!!!

Of course, homecoming is the main week to pop out with your best outfits and get your pictures taken. Yardfest is the real event to bring out your cute heels, skirts, dresses, and blouses. Black people in colors such as gold, red, green, yellow and we were made for it. Look after look was seen and captured in front of the camera. Check out some of the most popping outfits from this year’s Yardfest and the other Homecoming 2017 events here.

Yardfest is one of the best events to bring all of Howard together, students and alumni. If you need a recap, watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrlyypA-ts

My name is Samaria Colbert. I am a 4th year Computer Science major and Graphic Design minor from Cincinnati, Ohio. I attend Howard University and will be writing for my school chapter. With my major, I intend to go into UX and UI design.  I want to open my own graphic design business and create more jobs for black women in my field. I want to be my own boss.