Beads Byaree: Inspired Jewelry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Areeayl Goodwin is a Senior at Howard University about to gain her B.F.A in Theatre Arts in the Spring of 2012 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  She is the founder and owner of her own international jewelry-making business entitled Beads ByAree, a lucrative venture that makes it loud and clear that Areeayl isn’t only creative while on stage.

What inspired Beads ByAree?
Beads ByAree was a spontaneous venture.  I attended a High school for Theater Arts and Acting.  One day, I went to a craft store with my mother and saw some earring hooks.  I asked her what they were for and she said people made their own jewelry.  I bought the earring hooks and made my first pair of earrings.  They said ‘Areeayl’ on them.

When and how did you start your business?
I wore my earrings that said ‘Areeayl’ to school and my friends loved them and so I started making earrings for my friends.  Then I started showing my jewelry on my facebook page, which became popular and so I started selling my jewelry on Etsy  which made my business international, as I was selling products in Canada, London, Israel, and South Africa.  Now I also have a twitter and my own website that you can find here!

What inspires your jewelry?
Music inspires my jewelry.  While listening to music, my mind will go to different places and I am able to creative some beautiful pieces.  What inspires me the most is raw material.  I just look at the material and put combinations of it together.  I never sketch anything out.

Who inspires you as a person?
My Godmother inspires me because through her I knew how special I was.  She teaches that everyone is special but she also taught me about what is special about me in particular.  She provided me with history and spiritual guidance and she makes me want to do well.  I want to make it so big, so that I can do things for her, like take her to the place where she most wants to go.  Kanye West also inspires me.  He’s fearless and I love his collection for Paris fashion week. I don’t care that everyone always puts him down.

What are your aspirations?
Jewelry making isn’t my ultimate Passion, but I am passionate about it.  I plan on continuing making my jewelry, as it is a gift from God, but I also plan on following my own dreams within the arts with dancing.   Jewelry is a blessing I can’t give up.

Any advice for other young entrepreneurs?
Take something you are passionate about and have fun with it.  If you don’t enjoy it, then people can’t and won’t enjoy you.  If you’re not excited, no one else will be excited.  If you are passionate about making name tags, and are excited and creative about it.  Then go ahead and make name tags.  Just remember that you can’t bully yourself into success.  If you have no passion for what you are doing, stop doing it, and find something that you are passionate about.

Do you have any more fashion shows coming up?
I have a show coming up at the end of January.  All my show information will be up on my facebook, twitter, and my blog. 

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!