This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It is not uncommon to see non-black social media influencers darkening their skin and wearing hairstyles prominent in black culture to make it “trendy” or “cool.” But there are black people who are ridiculed and called “ghetto” for the same thing. But in a time where awareness of others is becoming more and more important in today’s society, these influencers must be aware of the damage their statements and acts are causing right? 

Well, wrong.

Youtuber and makeup artist, Nikita Dragun, recently posted a tweet saying “what race is nikita gonna be today?” Later, she then tried to clarify her statement suggesting that the tweet was directed at her mexican-asian heritage and not the past accusations of exploiting black culture. However, for someone who has been on the front line of this topic many a time, it’s unclear if discretion was used in phrasing this tweet. 

It is disappointing that nonblack influencers get away with things that balck people simply can’t. Durags, bonnets, long hair/nails, and dialect are a part of a sacred culture, Black culture Yet it is mocked and monopolized by people who have never had to endure the negative stereotypes associated with everything that makes black culture unique. 

Black people are discriminated against simply because of the color of their skin but others can make a profit from things that shape the identity of black people. It is unrealistic to think that these influencers are oblivious to the harm they cause the black community. 

It is important that we hold these influencers responsible and let them know that our culture is not a joke and it is not to be mocked and we are past the age of being “blissfully unaware” especially at a time where we need to be aware all the time. 

Hi! My name is Ianna Angelina Fenton and I am a journalism major, psychology minor from Kissimmee, Florida. I attend the forever illustrious Howard University and I love listening and dissecting music and of course writing.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD