Culture > News

Ashleigh Barty Becomes First Australian Woman in Decades to win Aussie Open

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

No.1 ranked Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) player Ashleigh Barty has defeated American Danielle Collins 6-3, 7-6 to win the Australian Open in Melbourne, Australia. 

Barty has become the first Australian man or woman in over four decades to win this coveted singles  title on home turf. Additionally, Austrailians Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis claimed the men’s double title as well.

This 25 year-old never lost a single set in pursuit of this year’s Australian Open  Championship title, and has started off this 2022 year on fire after previously winning Wimbledon in 2021 and Roland Garros (French Open) in 2019. 

With a total of now 15 careers singles titles, Barty also now heads into her 113th Week as the No. 1 ranked player in the world. 

During her Championship speech and via social media, the Aussie praised her audience and fanbase for supporting her during her run. She also exclaimed how proud she was to be from Australia and win on home court. 

Despite a surge in the second set from American Collins, Barty stayed aggressive and pulled off a win in the tie break. 

She is now one of two active players on the WTA tour to win Grand Slams on all three surfaces (Wimbledon-grass courts, French-clay courts, Australian-hard courts). 

Her versatility on the court is unmatched and this young 25 year-old is showing that the future of tennis is in great hands.

Best of luck to Ashleigh as she gears up to next compete in the highly competitive Roland Garros Grand Slam (French Open) Tournament in May of 2022!

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.