Photo by U.S. Army Private 1st Class Laura Hardin distributed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 license

Amanda Gorman’s Inspirational Inauguration Speech

On the day of inauguration, as Joe Biden and Kamala Harris accepted their new roles asPresident and Vice President of the United States, one moment during the ceremony seems tostand out.

Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old poet and Harvard graduate recited an original spokenword poem titled, ‘The Hill We Climb’ which deeply expressed the hope that we as a countrystill have after facing a series of challenges over the years.

The poem captures the realistic perspective that is necessary to understand our past and

the possibilities of our future. One part of the poem states, “And yes we are far from polished farfrom pristine but that doesn't mean we are striving to form a union that is perfect, we are strivingto forge a union with purpose. To compose a country committed to all cultures, colors, charactersand conditions of man”.

Not only did her words touch the hearts and minds of our nation but so did her tone,confidence and overall glow which seemed to translate into faith for healing of our country. Asshe stood with her yellow jacket in full glory, Ms. Gorman elegantly reminded us why thiselection and inauguration is so important in U.S. history. Not only is this shift in powerhappening in the midst of a global pandemic, as well as a racial and political war, but this poweris being shifted to a black woman who serves as the first woman of color in office. It givestestimony that anything is possible through faith, hard work and perseverance.

To access the link to the entire spoken word video as well as the transcript, click here.

Hi! My name is Ianna Angelina Fenton and I am a journalism major, psychology minor from Kissimmee, Florida. I attend the forever illustrious Howard University and I love listening and dissecting music and of course writing.