This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

What does it mean to be a part of “Gen Z”? We’re not our older siblings or peers, neither are we the generation of our parents, yet we are the next big thing. Gen Z’ers, as we are affectionately named, have a certain allure and sense of purpose that is unique to us 2000’s babies. However, as we take the first steps into the rest of our lives, there needs to be an understanding as to what it means to live. Everyone has their own aspirations and goals for themselves, and rightfully so. Yet, as human beings, one thing remains certain: We strive for happiness. So, as we go forth into our young adult lives, we should have a sense of where we want to go, who we want to be, and most importantly how to live and love unconditionally. 

Self preservation and creation are some of the main aspects of living fully and happily. Knowing who you are and what you stand for are integral parts to figuring out adulthood and life itself. Going out into the world, no one wants to spend each day as if they are a shell of a person, just going about each day being alive and not living. That is the beauty of being in your twenties– we are free to figure ourselves out, make mistakes, and keep transforming. Being in Gen Z, we truly have the world at our disposal by connecting with people all over the internet and creating friendships along the way. When identifying what you want for yourself, understand that this is your life to live. No one else is going to live with your decisions except you. Understandably, this is easier said than done with pressure from those around you seeming to to surround you. Yet, at the end of the day, you are the one that has to live with you, so strive to live the life that you dream of. 

Living is more than survival, it means to thrive and enjoy yourself as well. A way in which to live is to fulfill your purpose. For some, their purpose is great and for others it may be small, but as long as it is achieved that is all that matters. I know this is a cliche thing to say, but it is true. As Gen Z’ers, we need to recognize our talents and put them to use. As we grow and evolve, our skills may change and in some instances deteriorate, and the only way to preserve our talents is to practice and learn about them–being lifelong students. We are constantly learning, even after graduation. We are learning about the world, learning about ourselves, what we want for our lives and what we don’t want for our lives. While some may say that we will never truly know the meaning of our lives or how to live according to our purpose, the least thing we can do is try and live happily as if living is our only purpose. 

Now there is no denying that life is not always easy, especially in our twenties. We’ll spend the next ten or so years experiencing ups and downs and figuring out and setting up the rest of our lives. Yet to live fully doesn’t mean to wake up everyday feeling like your best or being incredibly happy. It means to know that regardless of what the day brings, you are going to be ok. So to my fellow Gen Z’ers, make the seven year old version of yourself proud. Accomplish all that you’ve dreamt, be the person you’ve always wanted to be, and have a strong conscience. Understand that everything in life is an upward battle, but with a sense of self, your worth, power, and talents, you are on the road to being all that you’ve dreamt of.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.