The 90s Style: How Black Culture in the 90’s Shaped Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The influence of the 1990s is a force to be reckoned with. From the trends we see now to the type of music we grew up listening to, so much of Black culture has been influenced by this modern day Black Renaissance. Even in 2020, our clothes and makeup trends have been influenced by the styles of the 90’s–as seen in the hairstyles in Cardi B and Meg Thee Stallion’s “WAP” music video. The 90s were a legendary decade for Black culture and without a doubt is still living on with the next generations.

Our Music: We all know that having a 90’s R&B type of love is the epitome of relationship goals. It just makes sense to crave the kind of love that was sung by classic artists like Boys II Men, Jodeci, and Tevin Campbell. The amount of emotion, heartbreak, joy, and pain that was put into the R&B of the 90s has yet to be topped. To this day we’re still singing the songs we grew up listening to in the car.

Our Fashion: If there’s one thing about Black women in the 90’s, it’s that we were dressed to a tee. Being effortlessly beautiful and having a confidence that was unmatched, the style of the 90s was so iconic you can find it being replicated in 2020. The dark lip liner, with the acrylic nails, and bamboo earrings, will never go out of style, and it’s all because of the grace of Black women. Movie stars like Nia Long, Jada Pinkett-Smith, and Halle Berry were, and still are, beauty and acting icons because of their talent and impeccable style.

Our Vibe: Last, but not least, the swag of the 90s is literally beyond immerserable. The music, movies, films, fashion, and more were influenced by Black people. Black culture was at one of its many primes in the ‘90s with the numerous unprecedented achievements that were made by Black women and men. Halle Berry became the first Black woman to win an Oscar for Best Actress, Mae Jemison became the first Black female NASA astronaut, and Toni Morrison was the first Black person to win the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature.

Black culture in the 90s was so impactful, twenty years from now we might still be singing the tear jerking songs and watching the classic movies that were made back then. Yet for now, we can reminisce on the past while still working to improve and enjoy our future. The 90s were all about basking in Black excellence and changing the world to be a world that not only respects but celebrates Black lives.

Now is the time for us to live out the hopes we had in the ‘90s, so get your dark lip liner, put on your acrylics, and fix that swoop bang. We’ve got a world to run.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD