sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Horror Movies to Get You Into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. Businesses are overwhelming us with pumpkin flavored and themed products, Halloween party flyers are traveling around campus, and the yearly debate of “is candy corn good?” is circling around again. With October upon us, it’s only right that we give you our carefully curated list of flicks to get you in the spooky mood. Before Freeform’s “13 Nights of Halloween” begins, here’s 6 horror movies that are sure to get you into the Halloween Spirit.

A Quiet Place (2018)

Source: Paramount Pictures

John Krasinski both directs and stars in this post-apocalyptic horror film where a family is forced to live in silence to hide from monsters with ultra-sensitive hearing.

It (2018)

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures

This remake of the 1990 film adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, It follows a group of misfit kids that band together to defeat the shapeshifting monster Pennywise. A sequel (or It: Chapter 2) is set to be released in 2019.

Donnie Darko (2001)

Source: Pandora Cinema

This horror/psychological thriller stars a young Jake Gyllenhaal, who plays troubled teen Donnie Darko. The film follows the teen on his adventures as he is plagued by a man in a rabbit suit who influences him to commit a string of crimes after a bizarre accident.

Scary Movie (2000)

Source: Wayans Bros. Entertainment

We’ve all seen the hilarious gifs and screenshots from this franchise of movies, and even though only one is listed, we recommend them all. The Wayans brothers direct and produce this comedy/horror parody film that follows a group of teenagers being stalked by a serial killer after accidentally killing someone a year prior.

Scream (1996)

Source: Dimension Films

Directed by Wes Craven, this film and its sequels are an absolute must for this season. The first film follows a high school student in California who becomes a target of the mysterious villain Ghostface. The movie combines Black humor and the “whodunit” trope with satire about typical horror films.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Source: New Line Cinema

This iconic slasher film, also directed by Wes Craven, focuses on four teenagers who are invaded and killed in their dreams, and eventually reality, by a burned killer with a knife glove named Freddy Krueger.

Veronica is currently a freshman at Howard University, and is majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. She loves reading, writing (obviously), listening to music, and advocating for the Black and LGBTQ+ communities. She hopes to impact the world using her voice and her writing abilities, and is always ready to partake in a political debate!