This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Love is in the air, and one of the best ways to express love is by showing it to yourself.

Whether your Valentine’s Day will include the company of a significant other or not, it is important to prioritize your own self-care, love, and happiness.

So here are a few practices to partake in on the 14th, and every day after that too.

1. Start the day with some simple stretches.

These simple morning stretches will only take around 10 minutes or so, but their impact on your mind and body will last the whole day. Take a deep breath and release some of that tension and stress that’s been stored up in your body.

1. Indulge in your favorite snacks and meals.

The nourishment of your body plays a vital role in the direction of your day, so why not fill 

it with some of your favorite dishes? Whether you fancy something healthy, hearty, or you simply want some of those coveted heart-shaped chocolates, treat yourself. You deserve it!

1. Set goals for yourself.

There is no such thing as the “right time” to set goals for yourself. Determine all that you would like to accomplish and engage with those ideas– write them down, speak them into the universe, and meditate on them. The way in which you choose to set your intentions is up to you. 

1. Do something that makes you happy.

Do your makeup. Take a bath. Dance to your favorite playlist. Whatever it is that makes you happy, do it for the simple reason that you can. Your day should be lined with the utmost happiness and contentment. 

1. Compliment yourself.

Pick a number. Whatever the first number to come to mind was, come up with that many reasons as to why you love yourself. Write these reasons down, say them to yourself in the mirror– however you choose to relay these messages to yourself, make sure to show yourself some appreciation. Significant other or not, you are amazing.

Cory Utsey

Howard '23

Cory Utsey is a writer and blogger studying journalism at Howard University. Her interests include mainstream media, culture and social justice. Through her writing, she hopes to promote racial equity, wellness and intersectionality.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD