This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Emotionally healthy people make relationships more accessible and bring out the best in you. And it is the same way oppositely—emotionally unhealthy people can bring out the worst in us and are challenging to be around. Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint these things, so here are a few ways to know if someone is good for your mental health, whether it is a friend, colleague, family member, or romantic partner: 

1. They are honest, accountable, admit their mistakes, and follow through on what they say they’ll do.
  • They don’t need to have experienced similar situations or feelings. They might react differently than you do in any given case; however, they must express recognition of what they are feeling. They may move toward understanding by asking appropriate questions or by trying to imagine what you’re experiencing.
  1. They can be emotionally available around you. 
  • No matter how understanding someone is, we feel more comfortable around people who express what’s happening inside them. Someone who exclusively asks questions often leaves us wondering what they’re hiding or why they didn’t share much about themselves. Even if they seem to get us, we feel best when we can also make connections.
  1. They inspire you to be the best version of yourself.
  • Being around folks who live a healthy lifestyle often makes us want to live one, too. Sometimes, they become role models. We model good self-care by mirroring them and showing appreciation.
  1. They are comfortable being alone and around others.
  • They will try to be accommodating whenever possible. When people can enjoy both solitary and social time, it gives a relationship room to breathe. This nourishes authenticity and respect.
  1. They give and receive.
  • When we’re with someone who is comfortable with doing both, our needs are met. We don’t have to ask for help so that someone else can feel needed, nor do we need to refuse it because we feel they might be burdened.
My name is Myracle Miller and I am a junior political science major, economics minor from Houston, Texas. I enjoy reading and occasionally doing yoga in my free time.