This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Opening up to a 100-page book about life and gushing about your crush was freeing and exhilarating, back in the day. There was nothing better than coming home after a long day of being a teen and letting the words run freely from your brain to your diary.

As time passed and life took over, many teens started prioritizing different things over writing in their diary and stopped. But, I’m here to give you guys 5 reasons why you should start journaling again (or for the first time).

1. Enhance Your Organizational Skills

Some people like their journals to have a sense of structure. Maintaining a journal is a way to start organizing your life.

2. Self- Improvement

A journal is, essentially, a safe place where you can truly be open and honest with yourself. You don’t have to put up any fronts and you can drop all the walls that you may have assembled around yourself. You have the ability to truly look within yourself and find out what you desire.

3. Personal Growth

Life is about learning and growing from mistakes and, usually, those mistakes end up being recorded in your journal. When looking back on past entries and all the experiences that you’ve been through, you laugh at all of the things you used to find intriguing and marvel at how you’ve grown and matured over the time. When it comes to journaling, growing as a person is inevitable.

4. Insight and Understanding

Writing in a journal is basically having a conversation with yourself. This allows you to have insights on situations that have happened. You can start asking yourself questions about the different aspects that make up your life. Is this reason why I’m always sad all the time? Should I remove this person from life? Why do I always deny myself good things due to doubt? These are questions that can be answered if you look closely enough at what you’ve been writing.

5. Mental Clarity

Having a journal allows you to clear out all the mental clutter and release the negative thoughts swimming around, onto your brain onto paper. It frees up space in your mind to think about other things. I know whenever I have a problem that I can’t seem to shake from my mind, I write it down in my journal, and I instantly feel better.

So go out today and buy that cute notebook that you’ve been eyeing! It’s waiting to hear your story.

Chisom Okoye is a sophomore Film/TV major, playwright and sociology double minor from Las Vegas, NV. Writing has always been her greatest love, because it allows her to express herself in ways that spoken words can't. The ability to pick up any pencil, broken and charred or shiny and new, and just simply create is gratifying. Her writing interests range from pieces about self love and the art of positivity to book reviews and fiction pieces to controversial topics to even screenplays. When she's not immersed in her world of writing, Chisom enjoys art museums, theatre, as well as musical theatre, and you can always find her listening to her favorite musicians, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, and Stevie Wonder.