5 Podcasts for Black Women in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Photo from: https://flic.kr/p/FahSc6

Podcasts are one of the best ways to get some knowledge on the go. As busy college girls, we don’t always have the time to sit and read or watch a long video. I love listening to them while I’m walking to class, on the road or doing some work. As a self- proclaimed podcast connoisseur, I have compiled a list of a few of my favorites for my fellow Black girls on a mission.

1. The Friendzone

If you want a laugh, to keep up with pop culture and a dope conversation, then this is the show for you. Every Wednesday, Assante, Fran and Dustin explore “all things mental health, mental wellness and mental hygiene, because who in the hell wants a musty brain?”. The trio bridge pop culture, holistic wellness and personal stories on the Friendzone. Each episode highlights a black business of the week, a wellness segment, and a topic of discussion that everyone can relate to. From Big Freedia to Bitcoin, I guarantee you will hear something that will keep you coming back.

2. Black Girl Podcast

This show is like when your older cousins let you sit in on their girl talk, or Girlfriends in a podcast. Media heavy hitters: Scottie Beam, Gia Peppers, Sapphira, Bex and Alysha P give their honest and hilarious insight on topics ranging from Insecure to career struggles. Their conversations are relatable because they don’t put on a mask to act as if they have it all together. They never shy away from being honest about things that we all have been through as black women trying to make it.

3. My Taught You

Founder and CEO of curlBOX, Myleik Teele, is the definition of a boss. Each episode always has gems for not just business owners, but for anyone that has plans to do great things. She does not shy away from her own struggles in her life, including her time in college. Episodes are filled with knowledge about being a boss. She also has episodes where she interviews guests (one of my favorites is an episode where she interviews Howard alumna, Kahlana Barfield). After listening to an episode, you will be ready to run a fortune 500 company.

4. Black Girl in Om

Self-preservation should be your top priority, but college gets hectic and it gets easy to forget about taking care of yourself. Lauren Ash and Deon Ivory host a discussion on self-care, self-love and wellness. Their episodes are informative and will leave you with a new way to take care of your health in a way that is specific to black women. They host guests that are black women in the wellness industry that range from yogis, beauty experts and doctors.

5. Therapy for Black Girls

Although talking to our girls or writing it out could be a form of therapy, sometimes we need an expert to weigh in. Dr. Joy, a licensed psychologist based out of Atlanta, has a goal of helping Black women become their best selves. Each episode tackles a relevant topic that Black women in particular face. The conversations range from sexuality to anxiety. It does not feel like listening to a psychology textbook because she talks in a language everyone can understand in a tone that feels like a wise aunty is giving you sound advice. On her website, she has a directory of Black women therapists across the country that is easy to use if you feel like you need something more.

There is a podcast for pretty much anything out there and these are my top five for black, female collegiates. Grab some headphones and get to listening!

Rebecca is a sophomore journalism major and political science minor at the illustrious Howard University from Virginia Beach, Virginia. Her passions are womanism, editorial, and social science. Growing up, her interests changed with the wind, but writing and reading always prevailed. She's so excited to share with her fellow collegiettes. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @the_rebeccaj.