Hero Images with HC Branding 10?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 10?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Marcus Lewis via Unsplash
Style > Beauty

5 of My Favorite Protective Styles That You Need to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

If you know me, you know that I love to keep my hair in a protective style. You will only see me wear my hair down once every blue moon. Every other day, I keep it protected so that I don’t have to mess with it. So, here are 5 protective styles that I love to do. 

Top Knot Bun 

A top knot bun is my staple hairstyle. It is simple, and it doesn’t cost a lot of money to maintain. All you need is your favorite moisturizer and gel to have a cute top knot. 

Low Sleek Bun 

A low, sleek bun is cute and conservative. I love doing a low, slick-back bun when I have a nice, elegant outfit to wear. This hairstyle is very cost friendly, too; all you need is your favorite moisturizer and gel. 

Knotless Braids 

Knotless braids have gained a lot of popularity recently. They are very cute and look great with anything. They are also better for your hair because they are not as heavy as regular box braids. Braids can be on the expensive side, but they are worth it because it is a long-term protective style.

Senegalese Twists 

Senegalese twists have been in style for a while. I love getting sengalese twists when I am going on vacation because they look nice with any outfit. They are more expensive, but this is a long-term protective style, so it is worth the money. 

Wigs 

Wigs have definitely secured their spot in the black girl hair community. I love wearing wigs because I can get virtually any look that I want without damaging my real hair underneath it. Wigs can be expensive depending on where you get the hair. However, there are affordable companies that have hair you can reuse for at least a year, so it is a good investment.

I am a sophomore economics major from the Suburbs of Chicago with aspirations of becoming an economist. I am very passionate about advocacy and equal rights for black people, women, and the LGBTQ community and I feel as though Economics is one of the most important ways to advocate for these communities.Some of my hobbies are doing makeup, watching youtube videos, and watching netflix.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD