This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Valentine’s Day is in full effect. Whether you’re hosting a Galentine’s Day party or cuddling with your significant other, one thing everyone loves about Valentine’s is a good rom-com. If you’re looking for a good laugh or something that tugs at the heartstrings look no further, here are the top five movies you should watch this Valentine’s Day.

1. The Photograph

Starring Issa Raye and Lakeith Stanfield, The Photograph tells the story of an unlikely romance between the daughter of a famed photographer and a journalist covering her mother’s collection. Coming out on Valentine’s Day, The Photograph is the perfect movie to see this Friday.

1.  Love Jones

One of the best romantic movies from the ‘90s, Love Jones is always a go-to when you’re with someone special. Mixing poetry and black love, the main characters Nina and Darius learn what it means to love in the big city of Chicago.

1. Love and Basketball

By far one of Sanna Lathan and Omar Epps’ biggest movies, Love and Basketball is great for anybody who loves romance and sports. Following two aspiring professional basketball players, Love and Basketball is a fire way to enjoy your Valentine’s Day.

1. Beyond the Lights

If you love music, then Beyond the Lights is perfect for you. In this movie, Gugu Mbatha-Raw’s character Noni deals with the highs and lows of being a popstar while falling in love with her security guard Kaz.

1. Poetic Justice

Besides being the inspiration behind a hairstyle, Poetic Justice is a quintessential ‘90s black love movie. Starring the icons Janet Jackson and Tupac Shakur, Poetic Justice is a classic opposites attract story taking place in the city of angels, Los Angeles.

Love is in the air, be sure to enjoy it. Spend time with the person you have feelings for or have a girl’s night with your friends, focusing on self-love. Regardless of how you choose to spend your Valentine’s Day, be sure to check out some of these classic movies.

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.