4 Ways to start the new semester off strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Ahh, to think we were just winding down and trying to regain a grasp on our lives after a long fall semester. Whether you took the time over winter break to relax, apply for internships and scholarships, or even took the time over break to stack your money up while working a job or internship,the time has come to start the new semester and things pick up very fast as soon as you step foot back onto campus. Here are some tips that I believe will help you have a successful start to the new semester. 

1. Make Healthy Habits. Most of us know that it takes 21 days to break or form a habit. These habits will either make or break your new semester. Be sure to make a habit of self care. With self care comes the quote “if you look good, you feel good”. Maybe starting a morning or nightly routine will help you to get the groove of things. Also, showing up to class on time and completing work well before it is due for 21 days straight is a great start. 

2. Manage your time. With a new semester comes new opportunities. College can be very stressful, especially if you are the type of person who wants to be very hands on and get involved on campus. Time management is a very vital part of being an involved college student. Planning your day out and using your time wisely is a great start. 

3. Get a Planner. Planners may seem like a hassle to keep up with, especially since we live in a society that is heavily saturated with technology. However, writing is equivalent to performing the actual task. You can use the planner to write out important due dates and plan out your day hour by hour. Think of your planner as a vision board. Ask yourself, why do you think people like the idea of having a vision board so much? It is because if you take the time to think about the goals that you have set for yourself and constantly see them, you’re more likely to accomplish them. The goal is more likely to be attainable if you write it down. Besides, the more you see it, look at it, and read it, the more likely that you will believe and achieve it. 

4. Network, Network, Network! It is great to talk to your professors after the first class that you have with them, even if this means you’re simply introducing yourself. It is a great way for professors to distinguish your name or face in a big lecture. Although grades are important, college is more about the connections that you make. With that being said, meaningful connections can and will get you further than just doing your work. College campuses have many resources to branch out and meet people. If you happen to attend an event or class with a guest speaker, it will never be frowned upon to stay after and ask a few questions or get their email to later send a thank you letter. Connections like those will always help down the road. I mean, your network does increase your net worth.

Makailah A. Gause is a sophomore Broadcast Journalism major/ Sports Administration minor from Atlanta, Georgia. She aspires to be a sports or entertainment reporter. Her dream project is to cover the olympics. In addition to being the Chief Editor for Her Campus Howard, Makailah is apart of Spotlight Network, she is a member of the National Association of Black Journalist at Howard University, and runs her own mentorship organization, B.E.S.T. You. During her free-time she enjoys writing, vlogging on her YouTube Channel, doing community service, and spending quality time with her friends and family.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.