This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

With the holidays right around the corner, now is the time to start thinking about one thing: gift giving. No matter who or what you may have in mind, gifts are looked forward to each and every holiday season. Of course the holidays are about more than just material things, but there’s nothing wrong with receiving or giving gifts this holiday season. Since Black Friday is in only a matter of weeks, it’s best to get an idea of what you’re going to buy for loved ones now. So, with that being said, here is your top 2019 Holiday Gift Guide.

For the Parents: 

Given that we’re in college, a lot of parents may be empty nesters this year. So why not give a gift that’s sentimental and reminds them of the old days. Framed portraits of family pictures or of the place where you grew up will definitely hold a special place in your parents’ hearts. To add a personal element to the picture, decorate the frame or make a collage of multiple products that remind them of the past.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-digital-photo-frame/

For the Siblings:

No matter whether you’re the oldest or the youngest, siblings expect a lot from their sister during the holidays. A lot of times, most will say that all they want is money for the holidays, but in the end, you know your siblings the best. Go for gifts that you think best reflect them and their interests. If they’re into art, give them colored pencils or an easel and if they’re into make-up gift them with a light up mirror. 

https://www.amazon.com/Daylight-Detachable-Magnification-Convenience-Definition/dp/B06XDNCV4M

For the squad:

The holidays are one of the best times to let your friends know how much appreciate them. It never hurts to go with something that everyone can enjoy and use. Look at matching slippers or mugs to commemorate a special moment in your friendship. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/247255811/couples-matching-t-shirts-friends-since

For you:

It’s great to give gifts to the important people in your life, however, it’s just as important to give gifts to yourself. Treat yourself this holiday season with some of your favorite things. If you need a new pair of boots buy them, if you want the newest eyeshadow palette buy it. After coming off of a successful semester, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being your own Santa.

Now all of the gift suggestions listed above are up to your discretion. Regardless of what you decide to get the supporters in your life, make sure that it is from the heart and is something they will genuinely appreciate. Gifts aren’t everything, but the way they can make someone else feel are. Try to give gifts to those you might not know as well, too. Volunteer at a local shelter or help out at a food drive. The holidays are a season for giving and now is the time to give for the love of giving. 

Simone Nixon is a senior biology major, chemistry minor from Maryland. She enjoys telling the stories of the world around her and hearing the stories of others. She plans to pursue a career in dentistry, while also pursuing her interests in lifestyle, beauty, and fashion.
Deni Dedmon is a sophomore speech-language pathology major from Albany, GA. Her first love was writing but her second love was helping others, which led to her choosing a career in speech pathology. When it comes to her writing, she loves to write about everything, from entertainment (she’s an avid Kehlani fan) to book reviews (she’s been reading since the age of one) to controversial topics and current events (ya know, your average angry black girl things). Being the oldest of five girls, she is also passionate about young black girls, their self-esteem, and making sure that they’re proud of being who they are. At the age of seventeen, she became a contributor for MTV Founders and a spring writer for Affinity Magazine.