Wellness > Health

15-year-old CoCo Gauff wins 1st WTA Title

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Already making history by defeating Tennis legend Venus Williams in the Wimbledon tournament, 15-year-old Cori Gauff can now cross winning her first WTA title off her list. It seems unreal that a young fifteen-year-old is able to compete at such a high level and take down multi-grand slam winners. Yet, here Ms. Cori “CoCo” Gauff is, defying the odds. Stunning the crowd at the Linz Open in Austria, Gauff defeated Jelena Ostapenko 6-3, 1-6, 6-2, to capture her first title. By accomplishing this great feat, CoCo has now become one of the youngest to ever win a WTA at just fifteen years old. To put this in perspective, she claimed this great victory at a younger age than both Venus and Serena Williams. 

Nonetheless, it is safe to say that nothing but more greatness is in store for this young woman. Although she is still growing and learning, and has a lot of hurdles to climb in the tennis world, her youthfulness will motivate her to keep pushing. Additionally, while she has taken some losses throughout this year, pulling off the wins and reaching even bigger milestones is what matters the most. The 2020 Olympics next summer will feature the sport of tennis, and it will be interesting to see if CoCo appears as a competitor for Team USA. Her new energy and freshness on the court can definitely add vitality to the competition. As she will now enter the top 100 as No.71 in the WTA Rankings after this win, many look forward to seeing her compete in her next tournament in the upcoming months. 

Hello ladies! My name is Alex D. Williams! I am currently a sophomore, broadcast journalism major/ sports administration minor from New Orleans, Louisiana. My goal in life is to be a sports analyst on ESPN one day, and I believe writing allows us to freely express our ideas openly and honestly.