This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Just because we’re in a pandemic doesn’t mean you can’t still give looks! As fall approaches, there are a few must-have items you’ll need to elevate your wardrobe, keep warm, and stay safe.

Telfar

This is the hottest bag right now. With 3 different sizes and over 10 different colors, the Black-owned brand has a “shopper” for everyone. There are some really great fall colors like the ‘Tan’, ‘Oxblood’, and ‘Dark Olive’, but if you’re looking for a more timeless piece, the white, the black, the red, or the pink colors may be for you. In addition, for a luxury brand, the bags are college-student budget friendly. 

TiaAdeola Masks

If you’re the girl who wants to make a statement in a sea of blue surgical masks that most people wear, Tiaadeola has got you. If you’re looking for a new statement piece, the “ruffle face masks” are a great way to spice up your outfit. Also a black-owned brand, the designer carries 6 different colors at $45 each. Overall, this is an essential way to serve a look AND protect yourself.

Print Sweatpants

As we navigate the pandemic, loungewear is a must–especially when it starts to get cold. Print sweatpants are a great way to make it look like you “tried.” Whether it be styled with a bralette, a bodysuit, graphic tees, or even a matching sweatshirt, sweatpants are a comfy yet versatile piece. Cute affordable options can be found on JadedLdn, PrettyLittleThing, Missguided or if you’re into DIY, Amazon sells plain Hanes ones for only $8-$15.

Leather

Leather is a fall essential! Ranging from pants to jackets to tops, leather pieces give an outfit a sleek, timeless look that is unmatched. If you’re going to a small, socially distant gathering with some of your closest friends or if you’re grabbing an outdoor brunch with a colleague, leather is a great going out look.

UGG Platform Slippers

Platform slides have made a return. In fact, UGG has their own fuzzy spin-off of the 2000s trend. For just $100, you can add them to your loungewear collection. They’re perfect for fall as it’s not too cold to have your toes out yet; however, when the weather transitions to winter, they can be worn with long socks. The slides also go really well with sweats, jeans, or even one of your comfy two-piece sets.

Two-Piece Loungewear Sets

In the wake of a global pandemic, most of us are spending our time at home. With Zoom University in full effect, it’s important to say motivated. Sitting in pajamas can do the exact opposite. Two pieces are a great way to keep yourself cute and cozy; they can be paired with your favorite house shoes or your favorite sweatshirts. The great thing about two pieces is that they’re extremely versatile as you can mix and match them with other items in your wardrobe.

Knee High Boots

My favorite trend right now is knee high boots paired with mini skirts, dresses, and shorts. Though boots are usually associated with cold weather they’re a great investment because they can also be worn during the summer!

Turtle Necks

Turtle necks are a staple every fall/winter. They come in all colors, sizes, and prices and are usually at a number of different stores. They’re great for layering as they keep you warm and elevate your look with a little sophistication. They’re also quite comfy.

Gold Jewelry

Gold accents are a must with fall colors. Most of us will be wearing neutral colors like grey, black, cream, or dark red this fall, thus, gold jewelry will help bring out the warm undertones in our melanin. Personally, I love layering and stacking my necklaces. Amazon and Forever 21 sell lots of affordable options both in sets or individual ones.

Hand Sanitizer

We are still in a pandemic! No matter what, hand sanitizer should be one of the first items you grab on your way out of the door. It’s not as accessible as it used to be so if you see it at a local grocery store, stock up! There are even D.I.Y videos that show you how to make your own.

After all, when you look good, you feel good, and you do good! Adding some of these items to your wardrobe will help you make the most of this rare time.

Essence Wiley is a sophomore Journalism major, Spanish minor at Howard University, in Washington, DC. After my matriculation at Howard, I hope to pursue fashion journalism at a major publication. I am fascinated by fashion through a cultural lens. I love to study how culture, specifically that of black people, impacts the entire world whether it’s through fashion, music, hair, or other aesthetics. In the short term, I'm actively contributing to campus media outlets in hopes of building a strong portfolio and landing internships at major publications.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD