This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As the spring semester is in full swing, I, among many students, feel that my schedule is getting more and more packed. My Google Calendar is booked back to back each and every day, which is a blessing and a curse. I am a person who loves being busy, and as a result, it becomes easy to forget to build in breaks into my day. 

I have a few ideas for ways to accomplish these breaks; however, my primary caution is to stop utilizing your phone as a brain break. We are all guilty of it, but phone usage does not actually give you rest. Sure, your phone is a “break” from reality; however, the constant stream of information does not foster relaxation. In fact, it is proven to add stress. Additionally, if you think you are a person who does not have time for “breaks” I invite you to take a look at your screen time. If it is a handful of hours… I would argue you do have time to build in some healthy habits for taking breaks. 

1. Exercise 

My favorite way to structure breaks into my routine is by making time to exercise daily. Whether it’s weight lifting, running, walking, spin class, yoga, or tennis, I try to find fun ways to get active on a regular basis. 

1. Time with Friends 

Hot take…but socialization is productive! Simultaneously, time with friends is a good break from the busy life of school, and it is also a productive way to spend your time. Humans are social creatures, and we need fun time with others each and every day. 

1. Mindfulness 

Mindfulness can take many forms. Some people enjoy meditation as a way of reflection. Others prefer religious practices. No matter what your chosen form of reflection is, it is important to find time to do so. This practice can have many calming and important benefits to your mental health. 

1. Hobbies!

It is all too common that I hear the phrase “I love to do ____, but I have no time during the semester!” I am here to tell you that you have more time to utilize than you realize. Even if it is just one time per week, finding time for your favorite activities is 100% worthwhile. If there’s something that you love that you have not been able to do for a while, this is your sign to make time for it.  

1. TV

I know I have knocked screen time as a good way to take real breaks, but I think there is something to be said for the relaxation watching TV can bring. As an escape from reality, you can watch TV and explore an entirely different world from the one you are living. 

I hope that a few of these ideas are helpful! We all need to create time to take breaks throughout the semester. These different ideas can hopefully become healthy habits to incorporate into your routine as you practice them more often.

Ann O'Malley

Holy Cross '26

Ann is a current sophomore at Holy Cross from Milton, Massachusetts. She enjoys spending time with friends, listening to music, and writing!