This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Maybe I’m biased because I’ve been playing golf since I could walk, but I genuinely think golf is a fantastic sport. A lot of people knock golf without ever having tried it. It’s not the hardest sport in the world, but it does take more than one visit to a driving range to get the game figured out. Golf has a lot of rules, but if you’re playing for fun you don’t necessarily need to follow all of them.

I was a member at a country club near my hometown for almost a decade. During my family’s first few years as members, I was one of two female members under the age of 25. I was constantly the only girl in clinics and the only girl on the interclub junior team. Finally, when I was 13 years old, Meadow Brook created “Girls on the Tee”, which was a program designed to encourage young girls to play golf. I was one of nine founding members, and after only two years the group grew to include over 60 girls ranging from ages 11-18. It even had a waitlist. 

My freshman year of high school I tried out for the boy’s varsity golf team, made it, and quickly climbed the ranks to become one of the top players. It took a lot of hard work, but a majority of it was done alone, or with my family or coaches. I made friends with my teammates, but it’s not the same as playing with your actual best friends. I was only the second girl to play on the boys team (my high school didn’t have a girls team), and the program’s first female captain. Needless to say, there weren’t a lot of girls in my town who played golf. I competed in New England Junior PGA tournaments, which allowed me to make some female friends in the golf world, and I enjoyed when my high school’s team would play against teams with other girls, but I was never able to golf with them beyond those events.

I think golf is a fantastic sport for women to play and more should take it up. I’ve been trying to convince everyone I know for years, but learning to play can be so intimidating. I swear, all it takes is practice! 

If you really think about it, it’s basically a hot girl walk! The outfits are so cute and stylish, and it consists of physical activity. Golf is also such a social sport too. You can play with your friends, colleagues, and significant others. It’s also an easy sport to play alone. I find that when I play alone, it’s actually kind of therapeutic because it’s just me, the ball, and my thoughts.

I know we have a club golf team, but I wish Holy Cross had some sort of women’s golf organization. That being said, in college, playing for fun is super time consuming, and none of us have a whole lot of time. If the golf simulators in the Jo were open to non-team members, you’d see me in there every day. I plan on bringing my clubs to Galway, Ireland when I study abroad there. I know golf is super popular in Europe and I plan on (hopefully) playing with any friends I make over there. If anyone here wants to get into golf, please reach out! I cannot say enough great things about the sport, and if you want a place to start in terms of how to even swing a club, I would be happy to help.

Rhiannon Dyment

Holy Cross '26

Rhiannon Dyment is a sophomore at Holy Cross. She is double majoring in English and Political Science with a concentration in Peace and Conflict Studies. Rhiannon wants to continue on to law school after graduation. Outside of HerCampus she is involved with the Holy Cross Admissions Office, Purple Key Society, Feminist Forum, and Pink Gloves Boxing. Rhiannon loves dogs, warm weather, acai bowls, and playing golf.