The Woman, The Myth, The Legend: Sis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Earlier this week, I had the chance to sit down with Sis, one of the most beloved members of our Holy Cross community. We can all admit that Sis puts a smile on our faces every night at dinner, as she swipes our cards and addresses us each by name. Her simple acts of kindness and heartwarming, grandmotherly love make us all feel a little more at home here on the Hill. During my interview with Sis, I had the chance to learn many things about this remarkable woman who has dedicated so much of her life to Holy Cross.

How did you get the nickname Sis?

“I was born in PA in a time where women didn’t go to the hospital to have babies. After I was born, my mother called to my siblings, ‘Come meet your new Sis!’ The nickname just stuck.” In case you’re wondering about her real name: Charlotte. (Only to be used on forms and at the doctor’s office.)

What brought you to HC?

“Thirty years ago I got bored and wanted something to do. I applied on a Tuesday and was hired that same afternoon. My first shift I worked a pasta bar night and didn’t think I would last even a year in Kimball, but look, here I am!” Sis also shared that she started as a food server, and didn’t become a permanent ID swiper until about 6 years ago when she was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.

Favorite Kimball meal? 

Turkey dinner.

What are the biggest changes you’ve seen at HC throughout your time at Kimball?

“The way in which the food is served. We used to serve the food to the students and initially had to fill buckets of water to clean dishes.” Sis also commented that students who worked at Kimball stayed all four years instead of filtering into other campus jobs, making it easier to get to know them on a personal level.

Have you ever witnessed a food fight in Kimball?

“Oh yes! Many food fights. One in particular took place during a midnight breakfast after Sunday Mass during finals week. Everyone was coming from Mass, so they were dressed in nice clothes and jackets. After the food fight, there were chocolate and strawberry pancake toppings all over everyone’s clothes. They had to close off the dirtiest section for a couple days to clean up the great big mess.”

What is the most exciting HC event you have seen?

“One time Hogan overbooked, and we had to set up a wedding reception in Kimball. After the decorating was finished, it didn’t even look like a dining hall!” She also revealed a close second- one night, a boy walked in, dropped his pants, and caused some commotion by standing in just his underwear for a few seconds. (She assumes he lost a bet)”

Favorite Kimball holiday celebration?

“Christmas. I love Christmas, the music the decorations, and everything about it!” (Don’t we all?!)

What do you do when you’re not working at Kimball?

Sis is a very busy lady! She shared that she enjoys babysitting her great-grandson two days a week, spending time with her family (2 children, 7 grandchildren, and 1 great grandchild), shopping, house cleaning, and relaxing at home. Most importantly, she described her very special relationship she shares with her husband of 54 years, saying “When God put him and I together he knew what he was doing, we are soul mates, he is my best friend and my #1.”

Admit it, your heart is melting.

Finally, if you ask Sis when she will retire, she will immediately answer, “From what?!” According to Sis, we keep her young and bring her great joy. She loves being out and about, and misses all her students if she has to take a sick day. Sis plans to work for as long as she can, because she truly loves her job and her interactions with each of us every day. Sis, you are a rock star, and we all love you.