Why Your Favorite Color Reveals More About You Than You’d Expect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Asking someone, “What is your favorite color” is an age-old question. Whether you are a die-hard navy fan, really like maroon, or just absolutely hate orange, everyone has preference when it comes to colors. According to the psychology of color, these preferences also play a role in our personalities and behavioral traits. While your favorite color by no means defines you, the study definitely proves there is credence to its argument.

If your favorite color is red…

You are audacious and sexually charged, and you always make a lasting impression.

Studies have found that both women and men are more attracted to a person in red than any other color. Usually, people who list red as their favorite color are aware of the effect it has and are confident enough to take advantage of it.

If your favorite color is orange…

You are amiable and carefree.

People who love orange want to be the center of attention, are usually theatrical in their behavior, and are very friendly, which those around them love until they become flamboyant at which point they may lose a few of those friends. In addition, people with a favorite color of orange are not as likely to marry, and if they do, their marriage will be one that is lacking passion. 

If your favorite color is yellow…

You are a cheerful idealist who often is underestimated because of your constant positivity. 

Only a handful of people pick yellow above all other colors; it requires a certain amount of optimism that most individuals do not have. As a result, those who do choose yellow can sometimes be misunderstood as eccentric. Keep in mind however that this misunderstanding is almost always a byproduct of moody individuals who are just jealous of all the positivity.

If your favorite color is green…

You are prone to placing importance on money and security.

Those who love green have an urgent desire for security in both their relationships and finances. How others view them is one of their greatest concerns, because they want to be viewed as successful, affluent, and socially important within their inner circle.

If your favorite color is blue…

You are cool, calm, and collected.

People who list blue as their favorite color are able to find peace and tranquility at times when and in places where most people would not. They also are usually easy to get along with, reliable, and lovable.

If your favorite color is purple…

You are a bit special… but in your own special way.

If you chose purple as your favorite color, you are a hippie who holds utopian ideals and favors mysticism over reality. In essence, you see the world through violet-colored glasses.

If your favorite color is pink…

You are naïve and have delicate sensibilities, so to speak.

Those who favor pink do so, because they want to escape the realities of adulthood. They are childlike in their mannerisms, and they hope to be able to pull off red once they’re grown up, failing to recognize that they are indeed grown up.

If your favorite color is black…

You are equal parts temperamental and sophisticated.

People whose state that black is their favorite color are complicated realists with a strong desire for control. Their realistic perspective keeps their pessimism and moodiness in check while their straightforward approach to ensuring things are always dark and dreary makes them appear far more sophisticated than they actually are. 

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.