Why You Should Take an Education Class Before You Leave HC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Ok, so it may be a little too early to talk about registering for Spring classes.  But since most girls have started “pinning” their wedding I don’t think it’s too early for this.  (PS-Fall weddings are sooyyy in) àsarcasm.  Anywho, I’m here to tell you that you why you should 1000% take an Education class before you leave Mount St. James.

First and foremost, taking an Education class teaches you a ton about how you learn.  If you’re struggling in your other classes, there could be a concrete reason.  Maybe you’re studying the wrong way, maybe you’re studying too little, could you be studying too much?  Well, you’ll never know until you enroll in Ed. Psych and find out for yourself!  What does it mean to be a visual learner, or how in the world are you supposed to be studying?  AGAIN, take a class, learn about learning, and then you too shall have learned.  About learning, and about how you learn and therefore you can learn more, and WOW at this point you’re just crazy smart.

Second, chances are you’ll get to hang out with little kids.  And, unless you’re just down right evil or the Grinch that should sound super fun.  It’s likely that you’ll travel with your class (field trip!!!!) or have CBL (put it on your resume) where you tutor or interact with small nuggety kids.  All jokes aside, it’s great to give back and get to know a student who is genuninely excited to see you each week.

Finally, you get to chat about yourself a lot, which basically everyone enjoys.  Say you’re talking about what makes a really great teacher, you can tell a story about an amazing teacher you’ve had in the past and IT COUNTS FOR PARTICIPATION!  Literally, you can tell a story about yourself and be contributing to a class discussion.  What can be better?  Or, in the off chance you’re a little more reserved than I clearly am, you can write or reflect on your experiences in school and psychoanalyze just exactly what your teachers were trying to make you do.

In general, education classes are super fun and extremely informative.  I myself have recommended (dragged) many friends with me into my education classes and I must say I have not disappointed one yet.  I say that you step out of your comfort zone, and put on your teacher pants for a semester.  Hey, you just never know. 

Unless of course you learned, and you know, and you’re super smart, because you know and you learned about how to know and learn and what not.  So, if you know then you know because you know how to learn about knowing.  Confused?  See, you need an Education class.

If there's anything I've mastered in this life, it's a successful hair flip.