This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Aside from the privacy concerns regarding TikTok in the United States, there are many other reasons why you should delete TikTok. As I’m studying abroad in Ireland this semester, I find most of my spare time is spent looking at my phone, scrolling through TikTok. In between hopping from bus, to plane, to train, without hesitation, I find myself clicking on the app. I scroll aimlessly, every night, while in school, looking at memes, beautiful places to travel, and people telling us which products to buy. I realized that my addiction was bad when I was waiting to use the restroom at the Cliffs of Moher, opened my phone, clicked on the app, and began scrolling. Instead of looking around and taking in the beautiful nature and scenery around me, I spent 25 minutes scrolling through memes.

My mother continuously says I should delete it. So, when she mentioned it again after this incident, I deleted my account. I loved scrolling through TikTok, and I loved the good laugh, but I only realized how bad it really was after the app was gone. I would be working on a paper or sitting on the bus and automatically click where the app used to be on my homepage. For a week after deleting my account, I found my thumb pressing its old location on the screen. Eventually, that habit stopped, I don’t have the same urge to scroll, I’m on my phone less and take time to do things and look at things that are much more meaningful. 

There is nothing wrong with having a good laugh from silly videos online, but maybe instead of spending your time saving things you want to try, go out and experience them yourself!

Summer Scott

Holy Cross '24

singer/songwriter/creative writer