Why you Should Add Gracie Abrams to Your Fall 2022 Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If you like Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, or Phoebe Bridgers, then you need to listen to Gracie Abrams. Abrams is a 23 year old artist from Los Angeles with amazing music, similar to the artists I previously mentioned. She released her first EP, entitled “Minor” in 2020, and has one full album, called “This is What it Feels Like”, that was released in 2021. I have been a fan of Abrams for almost 2 years now, with her song “21” being my top track on Spotify in 2021. Although Abrams has gained popularity since opening for Olivia Rodrigo during her “Sour” tour this summer, she is still relatively under the radar in regards to mainstream music. However, after discovering her 2022 single “Block Me Out” on Spotify this week, I have fallen in love with Abrams’ music all over again.  

My top 5 songs:

1. “21”: As I mentioned before, “21” was my top song in 2021 on Spotify (I know, ironic), and I still listen to it very often. The song has an upbeat tune and is very catchy which was part of its initial appeal. However, the lyrics, which are presumably speaking to an-ex boyfriend, are also very moving and make me love the song even more.
  1. “I miss you, I’m sorry”: This song is Abrams most popular, according to Spotify, and while it is very good, it is definitely very sad. In this song, Abrams is also speaking to her past lover, but is telling them how much she misses them (as its title implies) on top of a downhearted tune.
  1. “Block Me Out”: This song is Abram’s new release, and my current obsession. The track is a frustrated proclamation about how Abrams cannot seem to get out of her own head and is constantly consumed by her thoughts.
  1. “Mess It Up”:  This song is generally slow, with an upbeat bridge, and is about Abrams’ personal intimacy issues, in which she seems to “mess up” all of her romantic relationships.
  1. “For Real This Time”: Last, but not least, “For Real This Time” is a cheerful song in which Abrams excitedly admits how she is ready to leave her dead relationship.
Hannah Delea

Holy Cross '23

Hannah Delea is a current junior at Holy Cross pursuing a degree in political science and a self designed interdisciplinary minor called "business, ethics, and society". She loves all things beauty and fashion, as well as health and fitness, which you can read more about in her articles.