rose liner?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rose liner?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Why I Will Always Be a Tarte Mascara Girly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I have always been a big mascara girly. Around 6th grade, I got my first “big girl” makeup product aka mascara. It wasn’t until around 10th grade that I started wearing mascara more regularly. I tried around a dozen different brands and types of mascara looking to find the perfect one. I wanted a mascara that not only looked good but was able to last through gym class walking in the rain or just everyday occurrences. Out of the probably 10 different waterproof mascaras including the Better Than Sex waterproof mascara I was still at a loss for one that would last through sweat water and just transfer in general. 

Tarte Lights Camera Splashes waterproof mascara 

In one of the little sample beauty bags that I got, the Tarte Lights Camera Action mascara was included and I decided to try it out. The tube in the bag was a regular non-waterproof mascara but I loved the way it looked on me. I decided it’d be worth the risk to spend the money on this higher-end waterproof mascara to see how it held up. Worst case scenario it would be like all the other mascaras, but at the very least I knew I liked the way this one looked. I bought the Lights Camera Splashes (the waterproof version of the Lights Camera Action) for around $25 at Ulta. I did have my hopes up for this given it was a better brand but I was very pleasantly surprised by how well this mascara held up. I have worn this mascara swimming for hours at a pool, for days at the beach, and even for my long and very sweaty workouts, in this mascara had absolutely no transfer. 

I genuinely have never been so happy with a makeup product. For someone who’s looking for a good transfer-proof, waterproof, indestructible mascara this is the one. One drawback I would say is that because it is such a transfer-resistant product it can be slightly hard to remove and if used for many days in a row, it can irritate the eyelashes. All in all, I love this mascara and it is truly worth every cent. I’ve no idea what they put in this but it is truly the best waterproof mascara.

Tarte Tubing mascara

On the days when I feel like my eyelashes need a little bit of a break from the heaviness of the Lights Camera Splashes, I like to use the Tarte Tubing mascara. I’ve heard a lot about tubing mascaras from TikTok but never felt the need to try it until, once again, I got a new mascara as a free sample. This was another mascara that I was genuinely so shocked about. For the past year and a half I have only been using my Tarte waterproof mascara, and even before that I only ever wore waterproof mascaras. 

When I got this as my free gift I wasn’t expecting to like it but I did want to try it out. I have heard so much about tubing mascaras. I ended up sitting out in the sun and then going for a walk later that day and I did happen to work up a sweat where it was a nice 80° day. I came back to my house expecting to have raccoon eyes from this as that was my previous experience with non waterproof mascaras, and when I looked in the mirror, I only saw a little bit of transfer on my upper eyelid. Once again I was completely shocked by how well this mascara held up. I’ve put it to the test more by wearing it on rainy days or hot days at school and I’m very happy with the minimal amount of transfer. This has never happened before with any regular mascara, and even holds up better than many waterproof mascaras I have tried in the past.

Another thing I love about this mascara is it is extremely easy to take off. At night when I go to wash my face all of my mascara comes off very easily and leaves no residue on my lashes. The tubing mascara is perfect for me when I want to either give my eyelashes a break from the heaviness of my Lights Camera Splashes mascara or if I want to have a lighter mascara day because it doesn’t look as heavy as my other mascara. It’s more of a lengthening than volumizing formula as opposed to my other one.

I honestly love and will forever recommend the tart mascaras because not only do they look amazing but they hold up better than any of the other dozens of mascaras I’ve tried. I’m still shocked when I wear my tubing mascara and it holds up better than waterproof mascaras I’ve had in the past. If you want a nice, light, minimally transferable mascara that also comes off super easily I highly highly recommend the Tarte tubing mascara. If you are looking for a mascara that will last you through walking in the rain; a long, sweaty workout; and an intense crying session then Lights Camera Splashes mascara is perfect for you. I have put this mascara to the test countless amounts of times and it Does. Not. Budge. These mascaras do tend to be a little bit pricier than many others out there but I promise you, it is worth every cent. The formula In these mascaras is like nothing else which is why I will always be a Tarte mascara girly.

Callie Gillan

Holy Cross '26

Callie is a current sophomore at Holy Cross and is studying Political Science and Psychology. In her free time she loves reading, trying new coffee places and going to the beach.