Wellness

Why I Think February Self-Care is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

February is a weird month. We’ve just had a long break filled with family and friends. It was so long that it felt like a mini-summer, minus the warm weather of course. Then, we had two weird weeks of online classes. Now, we’re back in person. The semester has started two different times. But now that it’s really begun, we get to restart once more. 

I like that we can restart again. Those first two weeks I can lie, I really wasn’t productive and I hadn’t figured out my routine. Now that it’s February, I think I’ve finally gotten into my routine and I want to share it with you. 

For me, the start of the semester has meant self-care. Self-care means getting myself organized. It means settling back into my dorm. It means nurturing friendships that I couldn’t over the winter break. It means making time for the gym with a new class schedule. It means making time to get meals with new friends. Self-care this month hasn’t been my typical self-care. It hasn’t been about makeup or skincare or relaxing– although that’s always important. My self-care routine this month has been all about getting back into a routine. It’s been especially hard this semester to move away from routine at home and transition to one at school, but it’s so important. 

As work starts to pick back up and with spring break quickly appearing on the horizon, we need to prioritize our routine more than ever. We need to be loyal to it, especially because when we start devaluing our routine, it’s so easy to become overwhelmed. It’s okay to make changes but remember to put you and your routine first. Even if that might sound weird, it’s okay to say no if it means time for yourself. Put you and your routine first this February, and as a matter of fact, do it every month.

Claire Reiser

Holy Cross '24

Hi, my name is Claire Reiser and I’m a sophomore from Malvern, Pennsylvania. I love all things beauty, wellness, fashion, and lifestyle!