This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I get varying reactions when I tell people that I’m an English major. Some people, usually if they majored in English themselves, are super excited. Some, however, ask what an English major even is, or wonder why I didn’t study something “more practical.” Going through job/internship interviews, my major was the first thing inquired about most of the time. Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to think about why I decided on this major, and how I’ve been able to market it in a way that displays my skills and talents.

Study What You Love

I’ve been so lucky that I’ve had the opportunity throughout my past 4 years at Holy Cross to study a subject that I am truly passionate about. I’ve found myself enjoying some of my courses so much that they start to feel more like fun and less like schoolwork. This major, specifically, has allowed me to play to my strengths as a detail-oriented writer and reader.

Holy Cross, specifically.

As an institution, Holy Cross is particularly special because of its liberal arts nature. So, I’ve never felt “held back” by my decision to major in English. I’ve been able to take so many other courses that are interesting to me, and feel as though they contribute to who I am as an intellectual whole.

Marketability

I’ve never explained my decision to major in English to an unwelcoming opinion. The ability to think critically, write well, and remain detail oriented is an important aspect of any future aspiration or career.

So, overall, I’m definitely happy with my major and wouldn’t change a thing. I promote studying what you love to everyone who asks me about it, and am so happy that I’ve had the opportunity to do so while being surrounded by such amazing friends and teachers.

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!