This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Etsy is an online marketplace where small businesses or independent artists can sell their items directly to the buyer. It is an easy way to support small businesses and shops! It has been on the rise since its start in 2005. In fact, as of 2019 87% of sellers on Etsy are women, and they come from all over the world. Below are just three reasons, aside from these, of why I am an Etsy fan.

1. It combines all the small sellers into one place

Instead of having to independently seek out small businesses to support, Etsy conveniently complies many sellers all into one place. You can see so many options from sellers all with one easy search. 

2. It allows artists to get their great products out there

It can take a lot of advertising and sometimes just a stroke of luck to gain popularity when you are a start up. It is tough single handedly trying to advertise and sell products from your own website. It would be a shame to have great products and struggle to sell simply because people are not aware of your shop yet. Etsy provides a great platform for artists to begin getting their work out there.

3. The products!!!! 

I have brought some great jewelry, posters, and a pair of shoes from Etsy. The jewelry sold on Etsy has always been great quality for a great price. My favorite buy has to be a pair of earrings with engraved celtic symbols and a matching necklace. Another favorite has to be the pair of sandals I bought from an Etsy seller in Italy. I wore them practically every day of this summer and they still seem brand-new. Finally, I am in love with a poster I bought from a photographer, as it still maintains its vibrant colors and clarity despite the picture being blown up.

Meghan Dowling

Holy Cross '24

Hi! My name is Meghan Dowling. I am a sophomore biology major and creative writing minor. I’m from Portsmouth, NH and love to go to the beach and ski. In my free time on campus, you can find me hanging with friends or working out.