This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Toosii is a 23-year-old American rapper from Upstate New York. In the past three years, Toosii’s music has been on the rise. I listen to him so often; he was my number #2 artist on my 2022 Spotify Wrapped. So, of course, I play his music every time I have aux, and because of this, lots of my female friends have become huge listeners. 

Toosii is unlike other rappers of our generation. In the past fifteen years, rap has changed. It has taken over the charts with male and female artists. Listeners, both men and women, love a good flow. We listen and our brains love the organization of the melody. However, lyrics can be aggressively inappropriate, vulgar, and graphic. It’s time to take a page from Toosii’s music and be more creative in our own lyrics.  

I’m not here to say that Toosii doesn’t include graphic commentary from time to time. I wouldn’t recommend his explicit music to the sensitive ear, but he taps into his vulnerability as a man, an artist, and as a human. He raps about his relationships; giving a male perspective on love, desire, male heartbreak, romance, and the treatment of his significant other.   

Another thing Toosii does differently than other rappers is sampling female songwriters across genres. His song “How Does It Feel “samples country duo Maddie and Tae’s song “Die From A Broken Heart” and “Love is..” sampling grammy-winning songwriter Julia Michaels’s piece “Love is Weird.”

He is writing about his personal experiences and addressing his fans directly, like in his song, “Last Song”, on his recent releases. “Last Song” is a speech about his life, career, and family that is directly addressed to his fans. 

Toosii is changing the stigmas of rap music and dropping bars with the intention of pulling emotion from listeners across the board, and not just stringing along fire beats that flow together. In other words, his flows are more meaningful, and he has deeper lyrics than other artists. His music tells a story. He mixes modern-day rap with dimension. I believe all artists should listen to his flow. 

suggested songs: “Since 9th Grade,” / “Keeper,” / “City Of Love,” / “Bikini Bottom,” / “Heart Cold,” / “Lonely”

Summer Scott

Holy Cross '24

singer/songwriter/creative writer