This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I used to never think sunscreen was that important as a kid. I always put it on, because as a super fair-skinned person, I would always burn if I didn’t. I viewed sunscreen as “uncool” or not really that necessary. Many people feel that way and think they will look better if they don’t wear it or that they will get more tan if they don’t wear it. However, you need to learn now just how important sunscreen truly is. Sunscreen helps protect against sunburns, skin cancer, wrinkles, sun spots, and premature aging.

Being proactive about your skin is extremely important. I started wearing sunscreen everyday under my makeup. It is way more likely than you may think to get serious effects from the sun. You can even get damage from the sun when it’s cloudy. Wearing sunscreen is something you will definitely thank yourself for later. I have heard so many adults saying they wish they avoided the sun or put on sunscreen a lot more when they were younger.

Some sunscreens I would recommend are Neutrogena, Supergoop and Elta MD. If you are worried about it showing and being shiny or having a strong smell, I would recommend the Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen. When you are in direct sunlight, make sure to reapply frequently, and whenever you get out of the water at the beach. Make sure someone helps you put sunscreen in places you can’t reach. Stay safe in the sun this summer and make sure to apply sunscreen to maintain your beautiful and healthy skin!

Ashley Bunici

Holy Cross '26

Ashley Bunici is from Long Island, New York and is a Political Science Major and Disability Studies Minor, on the pre-law track. She loves to volunteer and be involved in clubs, spend time with friends and family, and travel.