Style > Fashion

Top 3 Must-Have Basics for the Upcoming Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Don’t get me wrong一summer is fun and all, but with fall around the corner comes new styles and trends that can be overwhelming to keep up with. Here are some clothing items that I have found to be both fashionable and staples in my closet during all times of the year, no matter what trends are present.

Article of Clothing #1: Grey sweatpants

Sweatpants are the ultimate wardrobe must-have, not only for comfort purposes but also because they are just so easy to style. Joggers are particularly easy because you can pair them with a basic hoodie during the colder months, or with a t-shirt when it’s warmer outside. Layering is also easy considering you can easily wear a matching zip up and your outfit is complete. It’s timeless, comfortable, and definitely sustainable for both cold and warm weather. You can find yourself a nice pair of joggers ranging anywhere from Garage or even Walmart. Your wardrobe (and your wallet) will thank you for having a basic piece that is so versatile.

Two of my personal favorites are the Garage Boyfriend Joggers ($17.50) and the Walmart Gildan Sweatpants ($13)

Article of Clothing #2: Button downs or dress shirts

Although button downs are most often paired with dressier clothing items, they are a great way to layer throughout all seasons. It’s all about purchasing the right material. Thin, neutral colored button ups can be paired with a tank top and jeans, or even denim shorts on a warmer day. Wearing a plain button up seems boring, but pairing it with the right jewelry and accessories creates a classier look that will never get old. Thicker button ups can be paired with leggings, nicer pants, or even sweatpants when the colder months start creeping in.

H&M’s Cotton Shirt ($24.99) and Oversized Shirt Jacket ($49.99) are two timeless pieces that I love.

Article of Clothing #3: White sneakers

White sneakers have and will always be an essential in my wardrobe. They may be difficult to clean at times, but it is ultimately worth it to have at least one good pair of casual white sneakers. They can be paired with almost any type of look, whether you’re going out or just walking to class. Casual white sneakers can be found basically anywhere, which also allows for more flexibility in price. This is a clothing item that you will not have to spend much money on and can be paired with almost anything throughout any season.

I’ve been obsessed with the REEBOK Club C 85 Model Vintage Womens Shoes from Tilly’s ($69.99) and the Chuck Taylor All Star Lugged sneakers ($70).

Larissa Nunes

Holy Cross '24

Hi everyone! My name is Larissa Nunes and I am originally from Framingham, MA, but I also have family and spent some of my childhood in Brazil. I plan to major in the humanities on a pre-law track because writing and journaling have always been one of my favorite things to do. In addition to that, I was also a ballet dancer for 11 years. I enjoy talking about politics as well as fashion and lifestyle. I have a wide array of passions, so writing for Her Campus is the perfect way to express myself while appealing to different interests and types of people!