This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As the winter approaches and the weather gets colder, my skin usually always freaks out. I’ve struggled with acne for years and years and have only recently found treatment that works for me. I know firsthand how frustrating and demeaning acne can feel. I’ve tried everything from toothpaste spot treatments to the notorious St. Ives apricot scrub and feel as though I can definitely offer advice to anyone who might be struggling to feel comfortable in her own skin. Honestly, the number one thing that helped was finally seeing a dermatologist. I went through rounds and rounds of antibiotics in high school which would clear up my skin, but only for a short time. The sun and saltwater of the summer would help, but my skin would always get worse with stress.

After rounds of antibiotics, my skin was still acting up. In high school, my parents never let me go on Accutane, noting the severe potential side effects and two forms of birth control that were needed. My sophomore year of college, it really got bad. I was breaking out all along my jawline, chin, and cheeks, and the pimples seemed never-ending. Maskne was a real thing. I would stare at my face in the mirror and pick at my skin, knowing that it would only become worse, but wanting some sort of respite. I ended up returning to my dermatologist, who confirmed my suspicions that the acne was hormonal. My parents both also struggled with bad skin when they were my age, which left me feeling out of control. If it’s something I inherited, how can I put an end to it?

I ended up being prescribed tretinoin and spironolactone about a year ago. This combination has worked wonders for my face. The spironolactone medication helps to keep the hormonal aspect at bay, while the tretinoin works as a deep exfoliator. While this combination can leave my skin feeling dry at times, I’ve never felt more confident in the way my skin looks. Along with this combination, I try to keep it simple. Using cerave lotion and a moisturizing face wash, I leave it at that. If I do get an occasional pimple, I use one of the Hero pimple patches to avoid picking. While this combination might not work for everyone, I’ve found the most success by just keeping things simple. Seeing a dermatologist is definitely the first step to finding your best skin!

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!